Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Second storey balcony

Medelweiss

Savannah Child
Is it safe to let me f7 Savannahs on the balcony with me? Or will they jump off fall off ?
Do i need to screen all my windows so they don't escape outdoors?
Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
You can never tell what a Savannah may do. ME? I would not do it without some way of keeping my furkid from the edge, be it a leash restraint or a screened in balcony. You do NOT want them to escape. So, for that reason, I do not open my windows as I have no screens.

Medelweiss

Savannah Child
I got to admit I had no idea that Savannah f7 would not be as agile as other cats are. My last cat would always join me on the balcony and enjoy the sun with me

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
They are just as agile as any other domestic...maybe a little more. But they are also very active and quite often careless and inattentive and will sometimes misjudge their footing. My F5 and F2 and both fallen off a 7 foot high shelf ( several times ) when not paying attention to what they are doing.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I can assure you my two boys have jumped out the second story window... without harm. One stuck around the other went on a walkabout for 8 hours. Try not to give them the chance. It's not worth the mental anguish.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It is quite possible that they will jump off a balcony, and almost assured that they will go out a window if there is no screen to keep them in.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Never underestimate the kind of jump a Savannah will attempt...it might take them a week or two to decide to leap from your balcony but there is a very very good chance one day they will decide to try it.

And yes, windows need screens, very secure ones. Ours are nailed into the frame...

F2bguy

Savannah Super Cat
Would not take the chance. As kittens I let them on my 2nd story balcony whenever I was out of town....in hindsight, probably not the best idea.

I'm going to figure out how to create an "enclosed" thingamajiggy for my balcony so when I leave the apartment, the cats can go out on the balcony to get fresh air, but they will somehow be in an enclosure.

Not sure how to make it cost effective as well as make it as in-obtrusive as possible?

It would need to be able to be broken down and stored on the side.

Am thinking some 2x4's and some industrial screen door mesh that you would find on a screen door for a house.