Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Serval bark?---with video!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
While taking new pics of my eight week old F5 SBT kittens today, some of them will "bark" when the wand toy I use to get their attention is just out of their reach....I'd describe it as a short, high-pitched almost puppy-like bark, as if they are frustrated. So far I have noticed that the kittens who do this are the ones from a certain line...my stud Afrikhan Malaki. My unrelated F7 SBT kittens did not do this bark, and the kittens seem to outgrow it by about 3-4 months old. So far, I've had F4C, F5 SBT and F7A litters bark....has anyone else seen this young kitten behavior? It's actually really cute :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think I know what you mean Pam, I had one girl who clearly barked, but I don't know that the trait in her case was hereditary.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
What generation was your barker? ;) I find it very fascinating and adorable....do serval kittens bark as well?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
She is F4. I thought I had a sound clip of it but I can't find it. I don't know whether or not serval kitten bark but I imagine they do since the adults do.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I have no video or sound of it either, should try and get it....but I can do a pretty good imitation ;)

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Titus barked today actually. I also was holding a wand toy just out of his reach and he bark/yipped. It was really adorable, i wish i could have caught it on tape. I was wondering if it was a more serval like trait as well

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Ahhh...more barkers! It does sound like a small dog's yip, doesn't it? I'm glad to hear it doesn't go away with age....I just think it is so unique ;)

K

Kronos

Ok who can post a video of this? I've never heard of barking cats before.