Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Serval % of Savannah’s

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You can't, that's the short answer.

The trouble is, the only split that is 50/50 is the F1 generation where the Serval is bred to a domestic. Then that F1 is 50% Serval. But the next generation, theoretically the eggs of that F1 female might contain 0 to 50% of that Serval heritage... now the majority are going to be ~25% but there is no way to measure this. So when we offer percentages realize that they are only estimates and not at all accurate.

Is your F2 "special" in some way where the mom was 75% Serval or the dad higher in Serval heritage than normal? You can work out the theoretical % assuming a 50/50 split and thus come up with an estimate that way...

Connie P.

Savannah Super Cat
You can't, that's the short answer.

The trouble is, the only split that is 50/50 is the F1 generation where the Serval is bred to a domestic. Then that F1 is 50% Serval. But the next generation, theoretically the eggs of that F1 female might contain 0 to 50% of that Serval heritage... now the majority are going to be ~25% but there is no way to measure this. So when we offer percentages realize that they are only estimates and not at all accurate.

Is your F2 "special" in some way where the mom was 75% Serval or the dad higher in Serval heritage than normal? You can work out the theoretical % assuming a 50/50 split and thus come up with an estimate that way...

Thanks for the info. I just couldn’t figure out where some were getting that % figure. And, of course my F2 is SPECIAL. He is the most perfect F2 in the world. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk