Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shampoos? For those with lighter SVs..

Brooke

Savannah Super Cat
Hi all! I haven't posted in a while but for those of you who remember my Kovu he is doing great! :)
He is a silver, though, and I'm looking for a good shampoo to brighten up some "dirty" looking spots in his coat. He loves rolling in the dirt when we take him out o_O I've tried a couple different cat shampoos (even tried Dawn) and nothing really seems to get the yellow/brown spots off. I'm thinking I may need a whitening shampoo but I don't want it to diminish the appearance of his black spots..?
Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I have a blue and white British Shorthair that I show...so have some idea of what you are worrying about. No, you shouldn't use anything with a bleaching agent in it...but most pet shampoos won't. What is usually termed a whitening formula in pet shampoos really contains a blue-ing agent so it makes the more yellowing white look brighter white by increasing the blue tone. This is one I use in his pre-show regime:
http://www.entirelypets.com/jpwhite...0&origin=pla&gclid=CPvpqouu3bgCFRDZQgodAB4A7A

Trish Allearz

Um, I used a bluing shampoo on Arachne for this past show- I think- I know I used it on SugarCookie (Elf- so DSH with curly ears basically). But honestly, if I wasn't showing- I wouldn't be bathing unless necessary.