Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Showing Olive

E

Eixi Olive

Im signing up to show Olive for 1 day next March. I filled her profile on TICA and I’m stuck in the summary sheet where it says Grooming Space, and Breed Space, under Show Services. Do I need either of these?

Do people who show Savannah’s give them a bath before the show? OMG we are going to get SCHOOLED at this thing I know :roflmao:

Does anyone have any tips for getting her used to what might happen so she’s not freaked out that day? And I know I’m supposed to bring a litter box...but how does that even work?

Attachments

• 2D02BC5E-376D-4903-A99C-4D61B7A8127D.jpeg
    2D02BC5E-376D-4903-A99C-4D61B7A8127D.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 16

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
I don’t need or get a grooming space, and I’m not sure what a “breeding space” even is?? That’s not one I’ve ever seen at shows around here. You do need to find out if you have to bring your own cage, or use one provided by the show.

I don’t bath mine before shows and just do a spot cleaning with unscented baby wipes. And a brushing to soften their fur.

The best guide to showing for our breed I’ve seen is courtesy of @Brigitte Cowell located here: http://www.kirembosavannahs.com/faq/Showing-Savannah-2011.pdf

I’d highly recommend attending a show as a spectator first so you have a rough idea how things go.

Best ways to get them used to it is to be around strangers handling her as much as possible. And take trips to pet stores to get used to other animals smells, that’s tough though as its not normally many cats you see out versus the amount of dogs. Going to places with loud overhead noises like Home Depot is a good idea too. Part of getting them used to it is them being comfortable spending almost the whole day in their show cage. That’s one of the reasons why I like my own show shelter so they are able to get used to it ahead of time and it already smells like them.
Good luck and remember to have FUN!!

Last edited:

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
*Note that link from Brigitte is still super helpful but older, so some things have changed like we are no longer in Advanced New Breed but in Championship status. So they have to be SBT’s to be shown.

E

Eixi Olive

Thanks for that article! Olive is an SBT but she’s a Mel so I’m not sure how she’ll show. It’ll be fun to try it and meet with others who are crazy about their cats too.

Has anyone had an SV do a ‘catstical’ course? It seems like this breed would really excel at this. Some of the moves she makes are like a Parkour stunt person in a movie. “...Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible...”

How do they use their litter box? Do you have a separate enclosure for the box?

DumaLove

Site Supporter
Staff member
Thanks for that article! Olive is an SBT but she’s a Mel so I’m not sure how she’ll show. It’ll be fun to try it and meet with others who are crazy about their cats too.

Has anyone had an SV do a ‘catstical’ course? It seems like this breed would really excel at this. Some of the moves she makes are like a Parkour stunt person in a movie. “...Practitioners aim to get from one point to another in a complex environment, without assistive equipment and in the fastest and most efficient way possible...”

How do they use their litter box? Do you have a separate enclosure for the box?
You have to get a small litter box that fits in the cage. As Brigitte mentions in the article, if you are getting your own show Shelter make sure you get a double size so you have room for litter box and food/water bowls. Most shows I’ve been to you have to pay extra to get a double sized benching area to fit the double cage, some shows it’s standard and included so you’d have to find out. The single size really isn’t big enough to spend all day in. If you aren’t getting your own, you have to verify what size cages they provide.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Ugh, I did update that when we went to Championship...but I'm so crazy busy packing for our month's trip to France (with two small children!!) that I don't have time to hunt it down...

I hope Olive does well. You are correct that being a Mel some judges simply won't take the time to look at her structure when there's not the dramatic pattern. It's disappointing to me, but if she's striking most should appreciate her! Good luck!

E

Eixi Olive

Sorry I'm coming in on this so late - here is a great resource to help you understand what to expect at a cat show: https://www.tica.org/cat-lovers/what-s-a-cat-show What show (where) are you taking Olive to?
It’s the Hello Kitty show at Arlington Race track in Arlington Heights, Illinois March 2020. She has very Savannah like features dispite her being a mel and her ghost spots are still very visible. I’m confused about how we registered her with TICA. She’s listed as black with golden eyes. Should I have listed her as brown? She has a very distinct ring of green with a golden ring on the outside of her eye...idk maybe none of the listing really matters.
Thanks for the link Patty!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Olive should definitely be registered as black (solid) and she will be shown in her own class initially, then against the other cats in the other color categories, BST, SST, etc. Donna Lawver lives in Illinois and goes to most of the shows there. If you would like to hook up with her I'm sure she'd be willing to take you under her wing. If you're interested, I am happy to make the introductions, otherwise you can contact her directly through her website and let her know that I sent you: http://www.summerwoodsavannahs.com/contact/

You know they say that girls with ringed eyes have the second sight... ;)