Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Shy Achilles ?

Tony

Savannah Teenager
Hi! New here, but glad i found this site! I have had my male F4 "Achilles" for little over 2 months. He plays all the time and is very active. He even likes to pick fights with my 10 yr old tabby. What im curious about is he runs away from me all the time. I only can pet him when he is either just waking up from a nap or when he goes in his kennel and i reach in to touch him, he doesn't mind once i do he'll purr and all that. Is this a stage or do i need to try something ? When i give my kitties food and they're all grouped together i can sometimes get a small scratching to his head but thats about it. I've read how affectionate they can be but i haven't seen it really from him:( Any advice?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
When you brought him home did you do a quarantine period before introducing him to the other pets and letting him have full access to the house?

How old was he when you brought him home?

Tony

Savannah Teenager
Yes, i had him quarantined for about 2 weeks. I swapped out blankets between him and the other cats for scent purposes. He never even had a problem with the 2 when he first started roaming the house, it was like they knew each other already.

He was 3 months when i received him.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
One of my SVs is a cat's cat rather than a people cat. I can pet him when he's resting or sitting near another cat. Any other time he runs from me.

You can try quarantine again during which you spend a lot of time with him. Try to get him to accept food from your hand. Try some of the techniques in the attachment in first post here http://www.savannahcatchat.com/thre...ed-acclimating-your-new-sv-to-your-home.1959/ Although the circumstances are different, they may help get him more focused on you.

Sometimes they get more affectionate as they get older. These cats are so busy and high energy that they sometimes appear not to need us but when you least expect it, along comes a head butt, love eyes or a purr.

Keep working with him. Set aside alone time where you play together or just spend quiet time together. Don't give up or get discouraged. Sometimes it just takes a bit of time and a lot of work.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Agree with Deborah..perhaps just spend time with him alone every day for a certain amount of time...

Tony

Savannah Teenager
Thats what i had intended to do but thought i would also ask few others. Been a cat guy for a long time, never with a savannah though but i LOVE HIM. Thank you too! I will post pictures, these cats are fun to be proud of.