Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Sleep?

MaddyG

Savannah Teenager
Hi All,
On average, how much does your Savannah sleep?
My soon to be 3 year old boy (F5 SBT) sleeps around 22 hours a day! While i think this is probably normal for a DSH, is this normal for a Savannah? I know every kitty is different; i'm just concerned.

When awake, he does play a lot with our DSH (and they play rough!), but then he seems to hit the deck and sleep hard for hours on end (like an entire afternoon without even moving).

Thanks in advance for your input.

Maddy

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Remember, your F5 SBT is mostly domestic so I would not be overly concerned unless he is exhibiting other behaviors that have you wondering. Has he always slept this much, or has it only been as he has matured? I have a couple of cats who sleep most of the day, F3 and F5, both adults.

The other thing you might consider is that perhaps he doesn't have much to keep him awake. If your DSH sleeps that much he has no play companion. Does he have cat trees, climbing posts, scratch pads, cat safe toys, etc. that he can play with during the day? Do you routinely play with him with wand toys or fetch, etc.?

MaddyG

Savannah Teenager
Hi Patti,
Thanks for responding! The DSH actually sleeps LESS than he does.... But to answer your question: YES; he seems to sleep more as he's maturing. He's never played as much as the DSH (she's pretty darn squirrely), and they both have loads of toys, a 5 tiered - 6foot cat tree with scratching posts, the run of the entire house (including a basement, which is like an open run space for them), and all of the furniture to bounce off of.

When he does play, he's a hilarious clown, full of animated noises, and jumps, up on hind legs and such. (Though, he's never gotten into fetch, sadly.)
I guess i shouldn't be so concerned... He's my little man, and i would be distraught if anything happened. I think i'm just being a nervous kitty mama.

Thanks for putting my fears to rest, Patti.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well, you can always have your vet check him out and run some blood work to make sure he's not anemic or having any renal, hepatic, or endocrine disorders, but it sounds like he may just be one of those more laid back Savannahs...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that he also might be sleeping more with the season... most cats are more snuggled up in grey nasty weather than when the sun is shining and the birds are chirping outside....

I think you may just have an active domestic cat and a less-active Savannah cat. Patti's advice to have some routine bloodwork is not a bad idea if he does seem to be sleeping too much...I'm always one to err on the paranoid side with my pets :)

MaddyG

Savannah Teenager
It has been pretty gray here in Oregon lately....
Nonetheless, i think i will bring him in for some routine bloodwork, because i too err on the paranoid side :)

Thanks for your help!