Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

snow savannahs

Cate136

Savannah Super Cat
could someone tell me how snow savannahs are produced? what color pairing produces the snow? Just curious about the genetics involved in coloration and coat patterns. Thanks!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Snow (seal lynx point) is recessive so both parents need to carry or it in order to produce it. In our breed it undoubtedly came from the Bengal, and possibly the Oriental Shorthair as well.

cmantis

Savannah Super Cat
Neo is a snow. He is a retired king and the only snow as such. So would two snows produce all snows?

Cate136

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks Patti! I was curious because there don't appear to be may snows being born in the breed :) and they are quite a unique color!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The reason there may not appear to be too many snow Savannahs being born is because it is not an accepted color for the breed and hence most breeders are aiming to produce cats that fit the Breed Standard. There are some breeders with snow programs, but I'm not sure how prolific they are. I think the majority of SV breeders are aiming for the same coloration as the majority of Servals come as...brown spotted tabby!

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
This is our F5 Lynx Point Snow Savannah. His spots are not shown in this picture but he has penny spots all along his body and tummy, with the stripe colouration on his points. He is still a kitten here, and will likely darken further. His future girlfriend is black spotted Melanistic F4. image.jpg

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Unique color. Is it possible to receive the F1 savannah of same color?
That is a good question. Since the pointed (snow) gene is recessive you would have to have a serval that is, or carries for pointed bred to a female that is, or carries pointed to produce an F1 snow. Although there is the very rare 'white' serval, which could potentially be a pointed gene, that is not at all for sure, so impossible to say. To date, as far as I know, neither a snow nor a melanistic F1 has been produced.