Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

So, Nala has kind of a Kangaroo Pouch...

Bookfaerie

Savannah Super Cat
It's the only way I can describe it. Like an extra bunch of golden haired skin at her lower belly.
It's NOT a DSH trait. Is this something I just don't know about Savannahs or is it from all the back breeding and hybrid with other wild cats that Taran did with her Savannahs?

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I know the big ears are from the Serval and the tufts are more a Jungle Cat trait. I'm trying to figure out what parts of her behavior and her physical aspects are Savannah vs. Chausie. (Or both).

Bookfaerie

Savannah Super Cat
And since she's so young it's also hard to know what is going to change. Like right now her legs are shorter than the average Savannah. But she's also stockier and more muscular. (Which I'm not complaining about. I kind of like that aspect.) But I wonder if her legs are going to shoot up. Like her Vet was saying we should spay her at one year otherwise the growth plates will stay open and she might wind up too long legged and prone to breaks?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Never heard of a vet suggesting that Savannahs are more prone to broken legs because they are so long! I would seriously consider spaying her before a year old though, to avoid her starting to spray. Not all intact females spray, but many do, and once they start it may be difficult to get them to stop, even after they have been spayed.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
That is the wonder of this site Laura. New info is ALWAYS showing up. :)

BTW, My Kilifi has a primordial pouch.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Zeddie has a pouch too. One vet said she needed to lose weight because of it :eek:

Jimmy doesn't have a pouch...funny how it just pops up

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Isn't "Big Foot" part Pixie-bob? I believe that that is where they are getting the poly-feet from. My Pixie-bob has quite the impressive pouch - you should see it swing to and fro when he runs! :eek::in love: