Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

spray smell?

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
Is it possible for an f2 that is fixed to spray? also, what does it smell like? sometimes on car rides, Atlas will spray/pee and it smells like this musky kind of fishy smell. it doesnt smell like regular cat urine to me.

is he spraying? i dont really care all that much, i have cleaners for my car and such but more or less curious what he is actually doing as the smell is not like something i have smelt before

thanks!

admin

Paige
Staff member
He may be emptying his anal glands- if there isn't much in there, you might not notice anything in the cage/car, but a stink. If it smells like ass- LOL- it's anal glands.

hahaha...trish you are so funny ;) I never thought of that!

Trish Allearz

hahaha...trish you are so funny ;) I never thought of that!
I mean- it could be spray, but if it is a smell that makes you want to fall over, die, or scrape the back of your tongue off because it just smells so bad.... Then it's anal glands.

JillyBean ALWAYS empties her anal glands AND poops in her crate.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
It is possible...when was he neutered? Does he do this only in the car?

only does it in the car, never has he done it anywhere else. im guessing its due to stress, as he is still adjusting to the car. he also doesnt do it every car ride, i believe this is the 2nd time after about 10 car rides.

this time there was alot, the first time was only a little bit. i had a duffelbag in the trunk that he crawled ontop of and went to town. it soaked through and got all the clothes inside. i washed everything as it was still wet so nothing was damaged.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
I mean- it could be spray, but if it is a smell that makes you want to fall over, die, or scrape the back of your tongue off because it just smells so bad.... Then it's anal glands.

JillyBean ALWAYS empties her anal glands AND poops in her crate.

very fishy smelling, like hyper fish smelling. my roommate thought i had tuna or fish or something with me when i walked in the door it smelt that strong.

doesnt smell like ass at all. he was neutered before i got him, i believe 12-13 weeks old

Trish Allearz

very fishy smelling, like hyper fish smelling. my roommate thought i had tuna or fish or something with me when i walked in the door it smelt that strong.

doesnt smell like ass at all. he was neutered before i got him, i believe 12-13 weeks old
Fishy doesn't tend to sum up spray- spray is very very musky. Fishy makes me think anal glands- not that it really matters which it is- LOL.

Harp

Savannah Super Cat
lol yea true enough. im guessing this is semi-normal in a stressed out situation then.