Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterilite Clears for Litter Boxes?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Just a question as to what Sterilite Clears people are using for litter boxes? Just confused as to which ones I had before and now have figured out the 77 quart ones I bought aren't big enough. I also don't need to cut entry ways into them as I don't have any Seniors to contend with.

Just confused, and I have enough extra ones for storage.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hmmmmmm, Thanks Paige! Looks like they are dancing all around the 32 gallon containers on the opaque bins, and the biggest of the clears is 29 gallons/116 quarts.

My guess is they regularly shuffle things around to make sure I'm thoroughly frustrated and confused. Mainly because where there's confusion there's profit and no way they could be happy until I buy 3x as many as I need. :)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Oops, made a mistake, the ones I have are the 70 quart size that aren't long enough but plenty of width and height.

Looks like I'm going with the 106 quart Latch Box. As long as Dino doesn't end up being a stand up corner pee'r or digger it should be fine. Large foot print without being excessively tall. 33 3/4" Long by 19 3/8" Wide and 13 3/8" tall. It probably lacks about 5 or 6 inches shorter than my old ones, but height was never an issue.

Thanks for your help in getting my head wrapped around this!

LG1_18898004.jpg

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProd...=Specifications&ProductCategory=180&section=1

John Campbell

Site Supporter
Staff member
JP, Have you considered Toilet Training... I know the little guy is a smart enough, and flushing is a heck of a lot easier than cleaning a litter box. I have had great success with Elsa... She is a 100%, but it does look funny with her sitting there doing her business.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hey Cary, there are lots of advantages in having these larger litter boxes.

First and foremost, they help the litter stay in the box.

Second, you can place enough scoopable litter that urine balls stay suspended, never sticking to the bottom and in the absence of a stand up corner pee'r, the sides and bottom don't get soiled.

Third, by using more litter depth and never having to scrape things off the bottom you just remove soiled litter without having to contaminate the rest of the litter. In effect, you end up just replacing scoopable litter and never needing to replace it.

John Popp

Site Supporter
JP, Have you considered Toilet Training... I know the little guy is a smart enough, and flushing is a heck of a lot easier than cleaning a litter box. I have had great success with Elsa... She is a 100%, but it does look funny with her sitting there doing her business.

If I weren't in a temporary home I would try it. I don't think I would ever go without a litter box as I want to offer them the choice of throne they are most comfortable with. My guess is Dino would be fine with it to pee in, but would prefer his litter to drop a deuce.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I actually prefer the boxes that are not so high on the sides as they are less likely to tip over... although it sounds like you use scoopable litter which is quite heavy so probably a stabilizer. With wood pellets which are quite lightweight I've had boxes tip over when cats get in or out of them.