Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Stick It In Your Ear

L

Louie'sDad

Louie lets me stick my finger into his right ear and he seems to love it when I jiggle the finger around while it's in his right ear he makes no sound. When I do the same to his left ear, he doesn't protest, but he does vocalize about it.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
So he vocalizes like it hurts him or like it feels good? If you're concerned you can have the vet check his ears, he could have an infection or mites deep down in the ear canal that you can't see from the outside.

L

Louie'sDad

So he vocalizes like it hurts him or like it feels good? If you're concerned you can have the vet check his ears, he could have an infection or mites deep down in the ear canal that you can't see from the outside.
This is the direction that I'd like to go. When my ear itches, I stick my pinkie in there and jiggle my hand around. A lot of other old people, like me, do this to "scratch" an itch inside the ear, and it feels great.

Every once in a great while, Lou will shake his head, or scratch his ear(s), but his ears are not drooped, and stand erect and symmetrical left to right. So, I thought I'd pleasure him by giving him the finger treatment. This occasional head shaking started about a month ago, and those big ears make a racket with all the flapping around. In any event, he's not been outside since last December, but he HAS been to the vet last month for his checkup and rabies shot.

When I stick my finger in his right ear and shake it around, he makes a face...........like he's in ecstasy, and he plainly loves it. With the left ear, he makes a sound like a meow. He doesn't pull away, and I can't tell whether he likes it, or not.

He was born with slight strabismus (esotropic) in his left eye, and I always worry about the possibility of an internal structural issue inherent in cats with this. Hopefully, there's no defect in his left ear canal. I suppose that the only way I'll ever find out is to have him checked with a MRI. Does anyone know if strabismus indicates a hidden structural issue?

He has never had any balance or vision issues. The breeder warrants their animals for two years. I hope that Lou will live a long and normal life.

Last edited by a moderator:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Does anyone know if strabismus indicates a hidden structural issue?
Abnormal crossing of visual fibers in the central nervous system can be one cause of strabismus. That would be considered a structural issue but not one that can be corrected. Other causes are restriction of eye muscle mobility due to previous injury or inflammation or genetics. A nasopharyngeal polyp may cause strabismus.

Obviously you can discuss this with your vet for a professional opinion but if he is otherwise healthy and suffering no ill effects, having an MRI is, IMHO, putting unnecessary stress on Louie and your wallet, particularly if whatever is wrong can't be fixed. If there's a possibility it can be fixed, then you have to weigh the benefits against the potential risks.

admin

Paige
Staff member
His ear may just have some wax in it that needs to be cleaned...that is what my cats do when they have excess wax buildup...I clean out ears gently with a q-tip...