Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

still peeing!

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
for those of you who didn't read my last post...long story short....chester was peeing on the furniture. took him to the vet and found out he had a bladder infection. I am treating him with antibiotics, bought anti icky-poo and treated the areas...worked pretty well. cleaned off the front porch where the stray males have sprayed. Chester is now peeing on our couch! I am so frustrated. I catch it right away and treat it with AIP, but I don't want to keep doing this!! The vet precscribed ORBAX. does anyone have any info on this? is the Antibiotic maybe not strong enough? I am not willing to give up on him but I also can't have him peeing on our new furniture. He is still peeing in his litterbox as well.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
It may be that the couch is retaining odor... If the urine seeped into the cushions it can take repeated soakings with AIP to really treat it...

What you can also consider is to cover the couch cushions with a waterproof sheet or mattress protector...at least for a while to break the habit of peeing there...

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I have also caught him jumping on the couch and "scratching" around like he's going to pee, but i brushed him off the couch, and he walks away. this was actually the first "urination" on it, so it couldnt have been residual smell. Poor thing,

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think he must be smelling something on the couch if he has been scratching around on it. If the cushions are removable I would treat them thoroughly a few times with the AIP and then cover the couch with a heavy duty tarp - this will do two things, it will make it less desirable for him to pee on since the urine will stay on top and get his toes wet, which cats don't like; and it will make it easier to clean up if he does do his business there. You might even want to add something noxious smelling on the tarp such as orange peels which most felines find distasteful.

You might also want to invest in some Cat Attract litter or litter additive, I've had great success in training/retraining kittens and cats with this.

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I think he must be smelling something on the couch if he has been scratching around on it. If the cushions are removable I would treat them thoroughly a few times with the AIP and then cover the couch with a heavy duty tarp - this will do two things, it will make it less desirable for him to pee on since the urine will stay on top and get his toes wet, which cats don't like; and it will make it easier to clean up if he does do his business there. You might even want to add something noxious smelling on the tarp such as orange peels which most felines find distasteful.

You might also want to invest in some Cat Attract litter or litter additive, I've had great success in training/retraining kittens and cats with this.
unfortunately, they are not removable :( I will just soak it a few times. I will also try the tarp. as for the scratching, I can't think of anything he would be smelling on it that is different from any other day in the past. he did this also before he peed on the chair that he soaked and had to get rid of. it was just like the scratching he does in his litter box before he goes. Thank you for the advice. I will get some plastic tomorrow.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I agree with the tarp idea. How are you doing with his bladder infection? Good luck with this.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Orbax is a quinolone, which is often used for urinary tract infections, so I think it's a good antibiotic for Chester.

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
I agree with the tarp idea. How are you doing with his bladder infection? Good luck with this.
I'm really not sure. I'm putting his medicine in some canned food, but he kind of eats around it still, do tonight I just started giving it to him straight. He hates it and runs from me but I feel like it's the only way to get full effect.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Definitely VERY important for him to get his medicine! He can't clear the infection if he doesn't get the full dose for the right length of time...