Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Behavior

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
My sweet Havi girl that has had so many problems is doing much better. Finally the diarrhea is almost gone, poops still a little soft but formed now. Odor is much less. She was spayed a couple days ago. I had the vet take another stool sample for hopefully the last PCR diarrhea panel. Should have the results next week.

She has suddenly developed this strange behavior. When she goes to drink water she puts her right paw in the water bowl, I guess to test the water level, then shakes it. She does that with her left paw but licks it. Then she stands with both feet in the water and gets her drink. The kitty hokey pokey? It's funny to watch but she sure makes a mess. Could this be a reaction to the nail caps that I had the vet put on while she was there?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
She has suddenly developed this strange behavior. When she goes to drink water she puts her right paw in the water bowl, I guess to test the water level, then shakes it. She does that with her left paw but licks it. Then she stands with both feet in the water and gets her drink. The kitty hokey pokey? It's funny to watch but she sure makes a mess. Could this be a reaction to the nail caps that I had the vet put on while she was there?
My cats do this for a couple reasons -- 1) they are exhibiting their love of water which is one of the characteristics of the breed; 2) they apparently can't see the water, or the level of the water, in one of the dishes I use so test it with their paws to make sure something is in there. They never do this test when drinking from their glacier point water fountain where the water is actively moving, only when drinking from water dishes where the contrast color between the water and the dish isn't distinct.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Deborah - I have some cats that test the water level because it's difficult to see in the black water dispenser... and others who just love to play in the water and end up splashing it all over the place. It sounds like your Havi is just now learning about the joys of water. You should try putting a couple of ice cubes in there and watch the fun - but be prepared for the mop up afterwards ;)