Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Success With Squirt Water Bottle?

L

Louie'sDad

So, what's the scorecard here with F1, and even F2 SVs?
Louie's P E R S I S T E N C E
Louie's R E L E N T L E S S N E S S
apply here, as well as acute learning ability.
Through very sophisticated deductive reasoning, Lou has determined that I am the "squirt-ee". He's now more clever and stealthy in his approach to my house plants, since he realizes that the wetness emanates from a device wielded by ME, and not the Great Cat God From Hell. He stares at me while making his approach to his chlorophyll laden prey, seemingly DARING me to pull the trigger. In fact, he repeats his attacks, over, and over, and over, and over again..........to the point that he's becoming desensitized.

So WTH do I do next.

I've got to find some form of deterrent/punishment that truly breeds fear into his little heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Patti

Admin
Staff member
So WTH do I do next.
Ummm, get rid of the house plants.
I had one girl who would sit in front of the Scccat cans (cat deterrent device that is motion sensitive to blast compressed air at the culprit as he/she goes by) and swat at it making it shoot air over and over and over again in her face until it ran out of air... :rolleyes:

L

Louie'sDad

Ummm, get rid of the house plants.
I had one girl who would sit in front of the Scccat cans (cat deterrent device that is motion sensitive to blast compressed air at the culprit as he/she goes by) and swat at it making it shoot air over and over and over again in her face until it ran out of air... :rolleyes:
Nope!

Because, even if I do that, then "the next thing" is the light bulb in the lamp in my TV room, which he likes to swat. The plants are also in the TV room, BTW. After that, the "next things" are my trophies on the shelves and the award ribbons hanging on the walls of my TV room. I've long ago already removed all wall hangings below the 5 foot level.

So, you're saying that I will eventually have to strip the room down to the bare walls so that there won't be any more "next things"?:)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Joe, it isn't only F1's and F2's...later generations are also persistent and relentless...houseplants - I have none...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Joe, it isn't only F1's and F2's...later generations are also persistent and relentless...houseplants - I have none...
Yeah, ain't this the truth! I could be a wise guy and make cracks about your lack of success, but that would be hypocritical of me. There are some annoying things Rascal and Mayhem do and I can't for the life of me discourage or limit them.
I am slowly starting to realize I might not be the smart one here. I am not happy about this thought.

L

Louie'sDad

Please edumenicate me on cat psychology.

So, you're saying that if I lose the plants, then Louie will be nicey-nice with everything else in my house?

The original question, alluded to, presumably, was: is there any effective deterrent to use with cats in trying to prevent them from "exploring" certain aspects of one's home?

Water squirt bottle?
Shock collar?
Acid?
Boiling oil?
Tar and feathers?
Atom bomb?
Hydrogen bomb?
Neutron bomb?
Kryptonite?

I figure that the more "wild" blood in any cat, be it SV, Bengal, or any other hybrid, then the more persistence is hard wired into their psyche........................a matter of survival. Just the reason that "show Savannahs" (SBT/"pedigree"?)must not display ANY trace of predatory behavior, otherwise disqualified.

From all that I have read, all of the domesticated cats, have exhibited tame, trustworthy (stupid) behavior. The smarter and more wily cats have remained in the wild over the milennia!

Savannah's presumably being more clever than ordinary house cats since they have more survival and predatory instincts than "average cats". Sheesh, I feel like I'm writing a script for the old Top Cat cartoon series.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dantes

try spraying the plants with vinegar, vinegar and cayenne, or possibly lavender (somewhere on this forum is a link to the lavender spray I use).

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm not sure ANY cat shows "predatory behavior" in a show ring to be disqualified...

I do think F1s are more intense and more determined...so if you went ahead and got one then you were accepting the challenge of living with a more determined, more persistent kitty companion.

I don't have a generation of SV here that a water squirt would do anything for, all mine are pretty unconcerned with getting wet. I do find that I have to make more compromises in my home because I wish to share that home with F1s. We've changed furniture, throws and blankets etc...fortunately I am no gardener so not having indoor plants doesn't worry me (they went fairly early on in the progression of learning to be a Savannah owner) and I have planted the backyard enclosure to be all edible/non-toxic plants for that reason. Our home decor is pretty modern and spartan to suit... pictures are hung high, breakables are in glass cabinets... we've simply adjusted to reduce the unwinnable battles...

My theory on punishments is that not only do you simply teach them to be sneakier but you also damage your relationship with the cat... positive reinforcement techniques and redirection techniques are preferable to me. As is just compromise to live more peacefully with them :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Nope!

Because, even if I do that, then "the next thing" is the light bulb in the lamp in my TV room, which he likes to swat. The plants are also in the TV room, BTW. After that, the "next things" are my trophies on the shelves and the award ribbons hanging on the walls of my TV room. I've long ago already removed all wall hangings below the 5 foot level.

So, you're saying that I will eventually have to strip the room down to the bare walls so that there won't be any more "next things"?:)
Exactly. I have no breakables within reach and all my trophies (in my case rosettes) are safely tucked away or hanging in a Savannah-free zone. It sounds like you were quite aware of the Savannah's personality before you got Louie, and I doubt you'll be able to change it.