Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surface rust on grinder

Little Joe

Savannah Adult
I don't really know if this sort of post belongs here or in the health section, as I can see this being asked in either. I just need some input on whether or not I should chuck my latest batch of food for Tuck. I apologize if it's a bit of a silly question.

I have a Tasin-TS108, which is apparently pretty much standard for those who feed ground raw from what I can tell. It's a wonderful little thing, though it is louder than a flight deck during flight operations. All of the important parts on it are stainless, which is nice, with the exception of one: the grinder plate - it's apparently made out of some sort of carbon steel.

I just noticed a day after the cleaning process and immediate drying that the plate had developed a small bit of surface rust/corrsion. I haven't noticed this before, and it has me more than a little worried about feeding this latest batch (didn't see any rust when I assembled the grinder, but it wasn't on my mind to look). Could feeding him food contaminated with a slight amount of rust be harmful to his health? I normally wouldn't be worried if I cooked something for myself on a slightly rusty grill, but then the food would be cooked. His food will not be... and I tend to be a little more worried about his health than my own anyways.

Thanks,

Joe

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well rust is simply iron oxide and a little bit never hurt a human so I'm guessing it won't hurt a cat either. I would not worry about it but if you're really concerned you can check with your vet and see what he/she says.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
You can buy food-grade silicone to spray on the grinder parts so they won't rust. I spray mine after I wash it.

Little Joe

Savannah Adult
Thank you both for your replies. I'll definitely purchase some silicone spray, like I should have in the first place. I just didn't realize that the plate was carbon steel. I probably should have noticed that, seeing as I work in the steel industry.

I tend to worry a little too much about the little one's health, so I just made a new batch with a new plate. I'm probably a little too cautious at times...

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Thank you both for your replies. I'll definitely purchase some silicone spray, like I should have in the first place. I just didn't realize that the plate was carbon steel. I probably should have noticed that, seeing as I work in the steel industry.

I tend to worry a little too much about the little one's health, so I just made a new batch with a new plate. I'm probably a little too cautious at times...

Sent from my RM-893_nam_att_206 using Tapatalk
Yeah well...Better safe than sorry. :)