Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprises in litterbox

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
so Loki keeps bringing toys into his litterbox and also stealing things like socks bras and underwear and also pulling them into litterbox. He even attempted to pull my yoga pants into it today. (Came home to them being half way inside the box half way out-it was bunched and almost completely blocked the entrance lol) he keeps doing this when I am at work. it started with toys now its my clothing. But still will put toys in there on occasion. bell balls etc. why does he keep doing this? At least it's dirty clothing but still...

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Yup, Savannahs will definitely teach you to pick up after yourself. You are lucky he is not peeing in you laundry basket. Why he does it is probably to help cover up his business (camouflage his scent with your scent), the lesson to take away is to pick up clothes and put the laundry hamper where he can't reach it. I never leave small toys out when unsupervised either, but that's more because I am paranoid than because I think one of the cats will drag them into the litter box... or food bowl... or water dish...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I guess we learned very early on with Savannahs to pick up our clothes etc...so this has never been an issue here. I have no idea if they would do that if they had a choice! I agree with Patti that Savannahs teach us to be tidier or reap the "reward" which usually means more cleanup...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
He's calling me stinky? That meany lol, maybe I should teach him to spray the poopouri (yes I listened to the advice and bought some lol) (and yes it came in handy after those wet cat food pouches we experimented with that he loves so much, boy you know when he eats them because you can smell his dump for 10minutes when you walk in the front door. across the house even with the door closed pee you!!) ill hafta do a better job cleaning my room apparently. I also noticed he stinks at burying his poo. He'll drop one right by the entrance than wake me up at 3am meowing because he needs to go but doesn't want to step in it. Ugh, would a change in kitty litter fix this problem? Or is it just a quirk?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
He must still be teaching me my servant ways because I'm definately not standing there poop scoop in hand waiting to clean his box after each bm. I know I am such a bad hooman lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Your cat is pooping outside the box? I'm not sure what "right by the entrance" means...is that the entrance door to your house?

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
I think she means the entrance to the litter box. Bekki have you thought of getting him a bigger litter box? Like one of the walk in ones? That way he wouldn't step in it when he does his business. As for why he's not burying his poo, um, some cats don't... it's has to do with how they were trained when they were kittens.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
In that case, I'd suggest an open litterbox so that he can enter from any direction... most cats prefer that to a covered one then...and definitely a larger one is always best :)

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I had meant the entrance to the litterbox inside. it is one of those storage bins I recycled to turn into a litter box. Do you think If I take the lid off it may help?