Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SV a bit much for one of our Bengals...

Treywi

April
Been dealing with a bit of a issue for awhile now and hoping to get some advice. Sorry if long winded.

We have 2 Bengals and 1 SV. Order of cats as they arrived. Bailey (Bengal Female), Chase (Bengal Male), Triton (SV Male). Got all as kittens, Bailey is now 1 and half years old, Chase is a month younger then Bailey, and Triton is 1 year and 2 months. We got Bailey, then a month later brought home Chase as we thought she needed a active playmate. They get along great even to this day. We hadn't gotten our brown spotted that my husband really wanted so contacted our breeder again to see about one. We ended up deciding on a F4 SV instead of a Bengal. We love him so much, and I can really see the difference in our bond with him as we stuck to the 2 week quarantine with him. Sadly we didn't do the same for the Bengals. We had that "oops" of Bailey kept sneaking in to see Chase so gave up.

So all three cats get along for the most part. Sleep together, groom each other, etc. Here comes the problem. The Bengals tear up the house and play pretty rough with each other and have no issues. But as Triton gets older and bigger when he tries to play with the Bengals they don't care for it so much. Chase is such a laid back cat and closer to Triton's size, when they play it's not bad. Chase gets tired he walks away. But when Triton tries to play with Bailey it quickly turns into her spitting and yowling, growling and fur flying, the fur being Bailey's and Triton just doesn't back off. He stalks her now, and ambushes her and I can see it taking it's toll on her. We upped our play time with Triton to wear him out more so he wouldn't seek her out to play. And if we notice him about to pounce or start to fixate on her we distract him. But I think her acting more of the victim is making her more of a target.

So we aren't sure if we should separate them and redo intros and in the process try and help build up Baileys confidence again, or possibly bring in another kitten in hopes we can find one with Triton's energy level that might bond with him so he doesn't feel like the odd cat out? Of course adding another kitten/cat might add to Bailey's torment.

Any opinions or ideas would be great.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Unfortunately, it sounds like a pattern has been set with Triton stalking Bailey. I would definitely separate them and try to break the cycle. Bringing in a new kitten with just as much energy as Tritin would probably be the most ideal scenario if you have the space and time for an additional cat. Otherwise I think you will need to continue with the extra play time, separation of cats, and possible time outs for bad behavior. You might want to consider contacting Marilyn Krieger, the Cat Coach for further recommendations: www.thecatcoach.com

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Definitely working to distract Triton from Bailey is good... learning to recognize the signs and using play to distratct him will be positive. The less negative interactions they have the better. Are there places Bailey can escape Triton when she needs to? Kitty shelving and cat trees can be very useful that way, the kitty that doesn't want to play can escape up there and watch the action from a safe distance...

Treywi

April
Thank you Patti and Brigitte. Will take both of yours advice.

We upped the play time even more today and have had 3 exhausted kitties napping longer then usual. lol We set up the quarantine room again so if a fight does happen we can separate Triton for a bit of a time out. I also have started plans for a super highway of shelves to give them more space to run, play and even hide if necessary. Want to make sure there is plenty of ways to go so there is no dead ends for Bailey to get stuck and cornered. While we have plenty of space and time to spend on another kitten, I think we will hold off for a bit. See if the changes help.

Thanks again!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think holding off before adding another kitty to the mix is wise... and I love the intention to build that super highway of kitty shelving!