Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Swing Shift Dino

John Popp

Site Supporter
Having some issues with Dino and constantly going on the prowl between 4:30 and 6AM. He'll dive under the blankets playing bed mouse, which has never been prompted by us, and sink his teeth into a leg, ankle or foot. He promptly gets put out, but the next evening it continues all over again.

Dino has also fattened a lip, bloodied a nose and blackened an eye with his 4AM escapades. Serval pounce death blows with stunning grace and has managed to leave me breathless a few times when the intended target was my tackle.

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts as I'm one step away from just locking him out all night.

admin

Paige
Staff member
John are you tiring him out before bed time? He sounds bored...sounds like normal kitten behavior to me...mine wake me up at 4 am as well...just put him out...and it sounds as though you are going to need a playmate for dino sooner than later...

Last edited:

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hi Paige, Yes he is pretty thoroughly worn out by the time we retire. He rarely has any energy when we go to bed and basically just curls up and goes to sleep. No question he needs a companion, because he's not that far off from getting into some serious trouble with his antics. Not that he's not fantastic, just that its 24/7 the Dino show and some of us need to sleep more than 4 hours at a time.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well get him a friend....not sure what you mean by him getting into some serious trouble...you mean with you?

John Popp

Site Supporter
Heavens no, he couldn't ever be in trouble with me. He is however responsible for the blinds being open all day every day. Every lamp in the house unplugged and on the floor. Shower curtains replaced with linen liner as we were replacing plastic liners once a week. Paper products under lock and key, new toilet paper dispenser and permanently banned from the basement.

Part of the program, just exponentially more curious than an F3 resulting in getting in more trouble.

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Heavens no, he couldn't ever be in trouble with me. He is however responsible for the blinds being open all day every day. Every lamp in the house unplugged and on the floor. Shower curtains replaced with linen liner as we were replacing plastic liners once a week. Paper products under lock and key, new toilet paper dispenser and permanently banned from the basement.

Part of the program, just exponentially more curious than an F3 resulting in getting in more trouble.
Let's see........
As a suggestion for the rebuild......
1. Pella Designer Series windows with the blinds on the inside.
2. Flush mount ceiling light fixtures.
3. Sliding tempered glass shower doors.
4. One of them new fangled Japanese toilets that automatically cleans and dries your bottom side.
5. At least a F3 boy. This might have to occur before you move back in. Like, err, real soon. Yesterday would have been perfect.
Hope this helps.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
John, I would either lock him out of the room as soon as he misbehaves or put him in a carrier for a period of time. It shouldn't take him too long to figure out that certain behaviors reap undesirable consequences...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that if putting him out at the first sign of naughtiness is not working (but you need to consistently do this for at least two weeks before deciding that)...then maybe he does need to be shut out of your room at night...at least until he has a companion kitty to be wrestling with instead of you!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I would modify RD's suggestions for the rebuild to include a walk-in shower and dispense with doors and curtains altogether.

Dino's behavior sounds based in boredom to me. He has an energy level much higher than Atticus's but I don't know what Atticus would be like if there weren't 3 other cats here for him to play with. And even with 3 other cats, they're seeking refuge from him for periods of time during the day and then he wants his momma -- usually for loving but sometimes for playing. If it's any comfort John, I'm willing to bet that Dino's behavior will modify by some degree as he matures. The first year with these guys is the hardest based on my experience.