Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail chewing

brian2204

Savannah Super Cat
My five month old f4 savannah boy, Sabi has taken to chewing the end of his tail! Has anyone else experienced this. Also any tips to stop it before it becomes habitual and a problem?? Many thanks B :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Is it only the tip of the tail he is chewing? Has he caused any actual injury to the tail? I have seen kittens interested in their tails (chasing, playing with, etc.) but they usually grow out of it in a matter of days or weeks. I would make sure there is no injury to the tail he is fussing with, and no infection, foreign object, or other irritant that is causing him to chew on it.

If there's no injury to the tail you could try putting bitter apple, soap, or Tabasco sauce on it to see if it slows him down any.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Are you sure he's not trying to suckle/nurse on it? I've had kittens do that as well, and the tails looked like the first pic you posted.

brian2204

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks for the reply Patti, he's not causing any damage and the tail drys out and is fine. He started a couple of weeks ago, then he only did when he was on me, now he's doing it on his own. I think you're right on suckling/nursing I've never know cats to do that! I've learnt something new!! Do you think he'll grow out of it??!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think he probably will, but you can try the bitter apple, etc. if it persists. I have a girl who was bottle raised and didn't really understand the concept of suckling until she was about five months old, then she started sucking on different parts of my body - chin, nose, fingers, arm, etc. She is still doing it now at ten months old, some days more than others.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think they often grow out of it... Kristine and I had a stud that when he was a kitten would suckle his own belly! He'd pretty much given that up by the time he was an adult though!