Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Taji has inflammatory bowel disease

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
He is a quail addict -- won't eat anything else and now he's allergic to quail. At least that's what the vet thinks after monitoring his health for the last 6 mos. He'll go weeks without any issues followed by weeks of low appetite and vomiting if he does eat. To start, I'm have to convince him to eat something other than quail and if that's unsuccessful, he'll have to start prednisolone and whatever else the vet thinks will help him process the quail.

She said in the last decade she has seen an enormous increase in allergic responses in both cats and dogs and deals with it daily in her practice. She has numerous ideas about what may be the factor(s) causing the increase but no data to support them.

admin

Paige
Staff member
He is a quail addict -- won't eat anything else and now he's allergic to quail. At least that's what the vet thinks after monitoring his health for the last 6 mos. He'll go weeks without any issues followed by weeks of low appetite and vomiting if he does eat. To start, I'm have to convince him to eat something other than quail and if that's unsuccessful, he'll have to start prednisolone and whatever else the vet thinks will help him process the quail.

She said in the last decade she has seen an enormous increase in allergic responses in both cats and dogs and deals with it daily in her practice. She has numerous ideas about what may be the factor(s) causing the increase but no data to support them.
My Taj has IBD and has been off all meds for almost 2 years now...but he definitely needed the meds...so what will you do?

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I'm sorry, Deborah!

I agree that there seems to be so many cats with IBD. Most that I know of are DSHs of no particular breed.

I'd be interested to hear what theories your vet has.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My Taj has IBD and has been off all meds for almost 2 years now...but he definitely needed the meds...so what will you do?
I'm going to try giving him canned. She gave me a few cans of prescription diets (which I loathe) and I'll buy some commerical products. I'll also try ordering some different ground meats from Hare Today. If I can get him off the quail and he does fine, he might not need any drugs. If he persists with the quail, then we'll go with the drugs. There aren't too many other options available at this point.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I'm sorry, Deborah!

I agree that there seems to be so many cats with IBD. Most that I know of are DSHs of no particular breed.

I'd be interested to hear what theories your vet has.
She thinks the mobility of people may have an effect (bringing trees & plants from different parts of the country where they wouldn't normally exist exposes people and animals to new pollen sources) as well as the way all commercial pet food is prepared today -- too many unnecessary ingredients and a scary amount of contaminants. Commercial feed given to animals who end up as pet food is a prime suspect. It could be that Taji isn't allergic to quail but rather to what the quail is fed.

admin

Paige
Staff member
She thinks the mobility of people may have an effect (bringing trees & plants from different parts of the country where they wouldn't normally exist exposes people and animals to new pollen sources) as well as the way all commercial pet food is prepared today -- too many unnecessary ingredients and a scary amount of contaminants. Commercial feed given to animals who end up as pet food is a prime suspect. It could be that Taji isn't allergic to quail but rather to what the quail is fed.
That makes sense as far as what the quail are fed...my Taj just seemed to outgrow it somehow...and that is what poor Cisco has, although I know the reason and now I have to get him off of his stupid kibble...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Hare-Today. I have to believe that if he gets hungry enough, he'll at least try something new. I can feel the gray hairs starting to sprout out of my follicles. I feel really bad for him. Can't stand to see my babies ill. But, having dealt with this with Maggie for so long, I'm not looking forward to dealing with it again.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Hare-Today. I have to believe that if he gets hungry enough, he'll at least try something new. I can feel the gray hairs starting to sprout out of my follicles. I feel really bad for him. Can't stand to see my babies ill. But, having dealt with this with Maggie for so long, I'm not looking forward to dealing with it again.
I know how you feel...what did you order?