Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Taking Savannahs Camping.

Hello all,

I do not yet have one of these beautiful kittens but am currently debating between an F5C and an F3C... Both litters are due within the next couple months. I have read through many a thread trying to see if this subject had already been hit on, and to an extent it has. My question however is whether or not it would be a good idea to take my future Savannah camping and also if generation level would be a determining factor one way or another. We have a beautiful cabin in Montana the sits about 50 yards away from a lake surrounded by trees. From what I am reading, a Savannah's dream. However I have also read that they are much like the dog in "up" the movie in as much that they are ea..."squirrel"...sily distracted. That said would it be ok to have supervised off leash time while at the cabin if taken there as a kitten and shown the ropes with a leash first, progressing to a point later in life to let her off leash? If not, what about attaching her to a leash that is placed into the ground so that she is still able to have some autonomy? Taken up there as well is a boarder collie, would this have an affect to ensuring she wouldn't run off? The boarder collie usually does a good job keeping my moms yorkis within the confines of our cabin though I realize this may not be the case with a savannah.

Any advice you insightful people of SavannahCatChat could give me would be much appreciated. Also if you had any suggestions or concerns with generation choice, please include those as well!

Thanks again,

Nate N.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
There is an exception to every rule but I have yet to meet a cat (any breed) that would not take off in delight at the sight of a bird or skittering leaf or bug. SVs are very very focused and often times don't see hazards when they are concentrating on something. I think it would end in heartache to let one off leash anywhere.

You can take a portable wire pen and let the cat enjoy the outdoors from the safety of an enclosure. I think there are a couple people here who attach their cats' leash to something else when supervised outside. You would have to be mighty sure the cat couldn't get out of the jacket. And never ever leave the cat unsupervised.

The generation of the cat doesn't matter as far as the ability to get lost.

cbain

Site Supporter
If you want to give your Savannah outdoor time build a cat run and make it interesting for them. I also have a cabin in a very large logging tract in the Allegheny National Forrest . Bobcats are very common there and I have seen them in the day light hours . I respect Patti's views ,but I would never leash a cat in the forest , a face off with a Bobcat would be the end for your leashed Savannah cat big time ,

Last edited:
If you want to give your Savannah outdoor time build a cat run and make it interesting for them. I also have a cabin in a very large logging tract in the Allegheny National Forrest . Bobcats are very common there and I have seen them in the day light hours . I respect Patti's views ,but I would never leash a cat in the forest , a face off with a Bobcat would be the end for your leashed Savannah cat big time ,
Thank you all for your responses, it has been insightful thus far. There are many animals including bears, elk, deer, bobcats, mountain lions etc. in the area. The cat would be on a leash while I was outside with it so it would be in the same amount of danger as I, if a bobcat or bear were to come. I wouldn't even think of leaving the cat leashed up while I was on the lake or otherwise, it would be safe and sound in the cabin. I don't think I would be worried about my Savannah winning the Darwin award an hanging it self. It would be supervised at all times, of course. I do like the portable enclosure idea though, I may take that into consideration. There are countless things that can go wrong in the woods, I.E. bobcats, hanging it self, bugs and otherwise, but like in life, I feel as if you can't worry about every little thing that could go wrong because there are many. My main concern is the Savannah seeing a squirrel and climbing many feet up a tree and getting stuck or running away. it sounds as if it is clear that it probably isn't the best idea to let a Savannah roam the wilderness, it may like it too much haha. I really appreciate you all taking the time to give your opinions on the matter, it has helped a lot and sparked some new ideas of what I can do to share my love of the outdoors with my future Savannah.

warm regards,

Nate

Lesley

Site Supporter
I would definitely think over the enclosure idea. The safest best option. Things can go wrong quicker then you can imagine with an SV and you are in a remote area. I would be extremely cautious. I think you will understand once you get a kitten. They are domestic cats, but very different from any we have had.

I would definitely think over the enclosure idea. The safest best option. Things can go wrong quicker then you can imagine with an SV and you are in a remote area. I would be extremely cautious. I think you will understand once you get a kitten. They are domestic cats, but very different from any we have had.
I agree, it sounds like a great idea. Something I could take and leave up there so I wouldn't have to haul it around everywhere. My cousin has an F3C Savannah and I have been around it a lot, often times make an excuse to go over there just for the kitty haha. You are right, they are nothing like a regular house cat. They are quite the energy plant.

Lesley

Site Supporter
They really are, and completely reckless. Which is charming but a bit scary in certain situations. You should check out CBain's enclosure photos. Something like that would be wonderful in the location you described.