Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Dreaded TF Is Back

maalleh

Savannah Super Cat
It's been awhile since Havi had her last PCR diarrhea panel test. I figured she was clear as her stools are pretty much formed and not as malodorous. Got the results of the last PCR test today and she is still positive. The vet doesn't know what to do so she is contacting interns that may be able to shed some light on the situation. Havi has gained 2 pounds since she was spayed in mid December. She wears me out with all the energy she has.

My question now is natural way to treat this beast? Can I add diatomaceous earth to her wet food and will that help or do harm? Also are there any essential oils that might help the situation? Or should I give her another round of ronidazole? She has already had two. She's 8 months old now.

This parasite is so frustrating. Sure wish I could send Havi's unscrupulous BYB a bill for all these PCR tests. Thanks for any help or insight you might be able to provide.

Blessings to all.

Mary and Havi

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd ask your vet to contact Dr Jody Gookin as that is the person that knows the most about this pathogen.

I'd suspect you need to try ronidazole again though... frustrating though it is :-(

Ugh. It sounds like it is not abnormal to have to treat twice for cats who test positive for tritrich. I'd probably go ahead and retreat with the ronidazole. There is no natural treatment.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Agreed, even though the literature says that there's no evidence that treating longer than two weeks has any benefit, it does seem that many cats who have been infected require two or more rounds of ronidazole to completely wipe it out :(