Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great bug hunter got stung by a bumble bee

johny

Savannah Adult
Stewie just got stung by a bumble bee . He was out for 5 min. and I saw it happen . He's a little puffy by his wiskers . Any advice or anything .

admin

Paige
Staff member
Stewie just got stung by a bumble bee . He was out for 5 min. and I saw it happen . He's a little puffy by his wiskers . Any advice or anything .

Keep an eye on it...try to make sure the stinger is not still in...

admin

Paige
Staff member
If his face swells or he has difficulty breathing, get him to a vet...but you need to get the stinger out...put some ice on the area as well...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with Paige, just watch it for now and make sure the stinger is out... but if it starts getting more swollen, or stewie is acting like he is in more pain or having difficulty breathing a visit to the vet is in order.

johny

Savannah Adult
I looked up bumble bees and their stinger doesn't come off . He does have a chipmunk cheek though .

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
When my boy was stung by a honey bee, his muzzle on side was swollen for a day. It didn't seem to bother him a whole lot...he still eats them.

I would imagine a bumble bee sting would be more painful :(

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'd keep an eye on him, see how much pain he seems to be in...and if his cheek is badly swollen make sure he's still able to eat and drink!

scorpius

Chirps & Massive Headbutts
hope he's doing better...

slightly OT, but last year I had a bee get into my nose and sting me! arghh! I hadn't been stung for 30+ yrs. oh the luck.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Remember not to remove the stinger with tweezers as you end up squeezing what ever is left of the poison in. Best to use a needle to somewhat scrape it off. Probably too late for this one but important to know,