Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The only thing more expensive than feeding her... is buying her toys

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
I know I can't be alone in this.

Obviously a wild jungle cat (our loving nickname for Mango) is a bit tougher and stronger than your standard domestic. As such, keeping her in toys is frustrating and expensive. They don't last more than 2-3 days, especially anything with feathers.

Any suggestions on tougher toys that will get a bit more use?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

admin

Paige
Staff member
I know I can't be alone in this.

Obviously a wild jungle cat (our loving nickname for Mango) is a bit tougher and stronger than your standard domestic. As such, keeping her in toys is frustrating and expensive. They don't last more than 2-3 days, especially anything with feathers.

Any suggestions on tougher toys that will get a bit more use?

What type of toys are you using?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I buy dog toys. They're more durable. But feather wands & toys…well ya just have to buy in bulk, use them judiciously, and put them away rather than let her play with them all the time. We go through feather stuff here like a hot knife through butter.

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
Just your standard issue pet store feathers on a stick. She's not interested in the tiny mice, or the cat balls or really even the scratching posts. Must have feathers.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Same here...I hide all wand toys when finished playing...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
I was afraid that'd be the answer. Mango doesn't show much interest in anything but wand toys. What type of dog toys have you had luck woth?

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I have dog toys as well. Kovu loves everything, but especially if he actually steals them from the dogs. His current pile of booty includes two chewmen (those wooly stuffed people shaped toys), a stuffed monkey, a red and white stripped bone shaped stuffed toy, and a bunch of wool balls that really are meant for the cats. He throws his toys and then jumps on them, throws again and jumps. He is hysterical. He will also fetch them.

Nyah likes the balls and a catnip filled banana that is canvass so puts up with a lot of stalking. And toilet paper rolls she steals from the closet when someone doesn't close it or removes the baby latch! We also have a kong kicker toy that has put up with a lot of throwing and pouncing.

We have wand toys but they aren't for free choice playing. There was a feather thing on one of their cat trees. That lasted bout 3 seconds.