Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The right babysitter?

The Birds

Savannah Super Cat
Is it just me, or is it really stressful finding the right person to help take care of a savannah if I need to go out of town?
I have a few different people who might be able to take the job, but nobody I know has any experience with a high maintenance cat.
It seems so complicated, regardless of whether he would be staying at their house or mine.
People are just so busy with school and jobs, they don't have time to sit around with my cat and get to know his quirks.
AND they already have commitments to their other pets who may or may not want to be buddies with a savannah.
I'm supposed to buy a plane ticket to a 4 day family gathering, but I can't bring myself to buy it!
I definitely wouldn't trust a stranger to take care of him at this point. I think he would be very unhappy in a kennel!
Does anyone have good tips for this type of situation?
All I have so far is I bought a ton of glass food dishes with lids, so I can make and hand over a week's worth of food without any hassle.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Unless your cat is already used to visiting others' homes, it isn't a good idea to take him to someone's home. Cats, in general, just don't like much change and it's stressful enough having their owner gone let alone being in a new environment.

Check with your vet to see if any of the vet techs do pet sitting on the side or if they know of techs from other clinics who do that. The comfort in that is knowing that if the cat becomes ill while you're gone, the tech will recognize it and be able to do something.

I found my first pet sitter through the link Patti provided above and she was excellent. I interviewed 4 sitters and chose one whose philosophy most closely matched mine. These sitters are trained in CPR, know how to give meds, and can recognize if an animal is ill so they are prepared to do more than feed and play. Gave me peace of mind.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have thought about doing some petsitting depending on where I end up and this is the site I would advertise on...

DChap

Site Supporter
Ooooh! Come to So Cal Paige ;) I want to get another SV buddy for Tojo so bad but my husband says I'll never leave the house!!! Partly true though because as far as vacations I don't have a sitter I'm totally comfortable with. Wish we had some kinda network that had referrals by actual SV owners.

The Birds

Savannah Super Cat
Oh sorry I didn't see that other thread!
I thought I searched around, but not enough I guess.
I think I also have unrealistic expectations about what pet sitters actually do.
The amount of attention I'm trying to get for this cat would cost a fortune!
He doesn't like to be alone for more than 8 hours a day.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Ooooh! Come to So Cal Paige ;) I want to get another SV buddy for Tojo so bad but my husband says I'll never leave the house!!! Partly true though because as far as vacations I don't have a sitter I'm totally comfortable with. Wish we had some kinda network that had referrals by actual SV owners.
I have thought about it because I don't have a sitter I am comfortable with either Della! At least I know I have experience and I am a nurse, so comfortable with giving meds...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have thought about it because I don't have a sitter I am comfortable with either Della!
You'd have a free sitter if you moved to southern Oregon. But no, you'd rather stay in the northeast buried in snow, blown over by howling winds and dipping your own candles so you'll have light when the power goes off :)