Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

The Vet

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I am looking for some tips on making the next vet trip better than the first. I took Jengo by myself to the vet - I have never even been to a vet clinic before. He moaned the most sad, loud and horrific meows I have ever heard - it was heartbreaking! He was so scared and wanted to hide and really wanted to run out of the tiny room we were in. He totally freaked out when we finally got home (thankfully vet is a mile and a half away) and totally freaked out and hid under t he bed for a full day.

Jengo also got a bit sick from his shots. His nose was warm he stayed hidden under the bed and slept for a full 24 hours.

NOW we go back for his neuter. Any advice on making the kitty carrier more attractive? I'm told he will go under anesthetic - should I tell the vet no ketamine? I have to leave him for an entire day which is going to be really hard for me. What questions should I ask before going forward?

BTW - was completely put off by the vet trying to even talk me into considering declawing!!!!!!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Poor Jengo ;)

I got mine used to going to the vet and riding in the car by desensitizing. I would leave the carrier out for them to go in and also took them out for rides in the carrier so they don't always associate the car with going to the vet. My vet is about 40 min away. it actually works...no more howling in the car.

Zuri just had her rabies shot because it is state-mandated and was not feeling well for 48 hours after. She did not eat well, had a slight fever, etc. She had titers for the rest of her vaccines, but she had all her initial shots when she was a kitten.

I am horrified that a vet would suggest declawing and perhaps you may want to look for another vet...

As for the ketamine...well, I believe you will find different opinions on that.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
We are looking for another vet. I's difficult finding a vet for Jengo because of the breed - either I am told that they aren't familiar with Savannah's or I am being told that they won't see him because he's dangerous :confused: which is really silly - anyone who spends 2 seconds with him will see he doesn't have ANY agressive behavior at all, infact he's very mellow and he took his shots like a little man. The vet was just a little pushy about the declaw even after I told him we haven't had any issues with him scratching where he shouldn't to which the vet replied but if you ever want a $5000 couch that value more than your cat you are going to wish you had him declawed!!!!!! Who says things like that?!?

With his age we need to get the neuter done as soon as possible - he's not spraying yet but I don't want him to start and I certainly don't need him trying to find a date, lol!

I will try to take him for a ride later today and pull out the carrier and see if he'll go in there. That is a GREAT idea! Thank you so much!

admin

Paige
Staff member
All I can say is WOW about your vet...my vet was not very familiar with Savannahs either, but savannahs are cats...he was familiar with exotics though, but like I said, savannahs are cats. I am pretty shocked at your vet pushing for declawing - most vets hate it.

Where are you located? We may have people here who live near you and can recommend a vet.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
That would be great! I live in Royal Oak, Mi - about 15-20 minutes outside of Detroit. We are willing to drive!

admin

Paige
Staff member
We have a few people from Michigan and hopefully they will post up here later...

Trish Allearz

Goodness gracious. First, I would ask around and find out where a good CAT vet is... I wouldn't even ask around for a good Savannah vet. IMHO- a good cat vet is a good cat vet. Second- I'd book an appointment and go in with Jengo. The minute a good cat vet meets him- they will realize, even if they haven't handled a SV before, that a cat is a cat is a cat. Third- I'd run from this vet you are seeing. Oh wait- I'd do that first! The declaw issue is crazy in this day and age! Most vets are dying to ban declaws and this one (can I assume a much older male vet?) is pushing them on you? EEK! (And if no one on this board can recommend a good vet in your area- try posting on Craigslist. Just say you are looking for a good cat vet).

admin

Paige
Staff member
Pam might be able to help out when she logs on. And I think we have a couple of others near Charley.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I live within a 2 minute drive of my vet so I had an easy time desensitizing my SVs. With each one, I'd take them to the vet for social visits where everyone fussed over them, the cats got used to the smells and noises and then we'd go home. I did this about 2x a week for a month. When it came time for shots & neutering, we had no problems. I still take them for social visits to ensure that the 2 large, strong cats are easy to handle should an emergency health situation arise.

Good luck finding a vet with a better attitude than your current vet.

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
We are looking for another vet. I's difficult finding a vet for Jengo because of the breed - either I am told that they aren't familiar with Savannah's or I am being told that they won't see him because he's dangerous :confused: which is really silly - anyone who spends 2 seconds with him will see he doesn't have ANY agressive behavior at all, infact he's very mellow and he took his shots like a little man. The vet was just a little pushy about the declaw even after I told him we haven't had any issues with him scratching where he shouldn't to which the vet replied but if you ever want a $5000 couch that value more than your cat you are going to wish you had him declawed!!!!!! Who says things like that?!?

With his age we need to get the neuter done as soon as possible - he's not spraying yet but I don't want him to start and I certainly don't need him trying to find a date, lol!

I will try to take him for a ride later today and pull out the carrier and see if he'll go in there. That is a GREAT idea! Thank you so much!

You definitely need a new vet! I'm guessing the one you have now will be nervous about treating him, has read or heard only negative anecdotes about Savannahs (or any hybrid), hence perhaps the declaw suggestion....or he just wants the money from the procedure. Cats will pick up on that, too. If he's not willing to educate himself about how Savannahs really are, then find another one asap.

I'm about 3 hours north of you, so can't really recommend anyone in your area..have you asked your breeder who she recommends...was that Melissa? I'll see if I can come up with anyone.

I like Trish's recommendation to post an ad on Craigslist in the Pets section looking for a good vet reference; I see people do that all the time.

My Savannahs were the first my vet's office had seen, and were thrilled! They have many Bengal patients and love mine :) The assistants all crowd in the room when I am there, not because they need to, but to hold and love on them :) They also treat true feral cats on occasion so are not "afraid" of any cat....I would worry if on the slim chance your cat might bite or scratch your vet or one of the vet techs, that would not end on a good note as far as their opinion of Savannahs is right now.

Yes, take Jengo out and about in his carrier, leave it around your house so he can play and sleep in it, go for drives with him it that do not end up at the vets and when you find a new vet, bring him there when he does not have an appointment (neuter, etc) to meet the staff; of course ask beforehand if that is OK to do :)