Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

This Has Me Baffled

L

Louie'sDad

Maybe it's just me. There are times when I don't smell Louie's urine, and this can go on for days. There are other times that the pungent smell of ammonia can bowl me over. Is this more or less the case with neutered male cats.............the urine scent is more pungent at random times? I think that this is a stretch, but can cats intentionally activate the scent (or whatever the mechanism is) in the urine for marking purposes? Again, a stretch, since, why would he want to "mark" his litter box?

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Could it be on those stinky days he hasn't had enough water therefor the urine is more concentrated?

Ree

Savannah Super Cat
I don't know but Ziggy, my F2, tends to be extra strong when he's pouting or upset that I am too busy for him. I swear every time I tell him no to lap time, he makes a bee line to the upstairs box and pees!!! Strange boy :)

Sorry not really an answer...lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't think they can make it change on an instant... is there any variation to his diet that might explain it? Kinda like when we eat a lot of asparagus or something? Or is it just days he's drunk less water so his urine is more concentrated... an extra hot day or something...

L

Louie'sDad

What is the diet like?

Diet is consistent. Royal Canin "Special 33" for sensitive stomachs. Every now and then we share table food like, salmon, chicken, bacon, butter, cheese, peanut butter, eggs.

L

Louie'sDad

I don't think they can make it change on an instant... is there any variation to his diet that might explain it? Kinda like when we eat a lot of asparagus or something? Or is it just days he's drunk less water so his urine is more concentrated... an extra hot day or something...

He has no problem keeping hydrated. Hard to tell the consistency, though, so concentration of compound(s) in urine could be a factor. He's not a big fan of commercial "treats", so they are rarely if ever given. In reply to Samber, the table sharing only happens when he jumps up and shows an interest in my meal. Again, this might happen once a week, except when I'm eating something that I know is good for him, like salmon. Every day he gets a few licks of fingers moistened with beer. He prefers Bud, a lager over Bass Ale. The Bass might be too "hoppy" for him.

L

Louie'sDad

I've been using Boreal pellets, a very inexpensive horse bedding which looks and acts exactly like Feline Pine. Does anyone know if there's a deodorizing agent added to the FP? There should be something "better" about it to justify it's price, which is more than 3x that of the Boreal. Perhaps not. In any case, Lou's urine never stunk when I was using the FP, although I started the Boreal when he was about 5 MO. Maybe he was too young for potent urine when I was using the FP. Wonder if going back to FP will kill the odor better than the B? Doesn't bother me too much, and changing from pelletized to granular clumping could be (expensive) option, although the pelletized sawdust is sooooo convenient, easy, flushable (if you have city sewer system and not septic tank), and economical. Other option might be to toilet train him.

John Popp

Site Supporter
From the diet, it looks like it could be salt content of human food. More salt equates to a great amount of urine. Other times the urine will be more concentrated.

Also, don't kid yourself, cats never drink enough water. A 15lb active SV should be drinking near a pint of water a day. If you are feeding canned or raw about 20% of that comes from their food. If you are feeding kibble, you need to find another way for them to choke down a pint of water a day.

Cats have evolved to gather nearly all their hydration needs from their prey. Even canned food falls short of providing enough water for them and most raw recipes call for adding water to keep your cat properly hydrated. In this light kibble provides a real challenge as you need to make up a cats hydration needs with something that hasn't been ordained by their evolution.

Samber

Savannah Super Cat
IDK dude. mine dont smell but thats due to the raw food. i think its hilarious that yours likes beer.

Id toilet train but then id have no toilet paper. gotta keep em out of the bathroom or else it gets all torn up.