Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Thoughts on Fostering

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
I've been looking for a Savannah companion to my F4 male and I've been giving some thoughts to perhaps fostering a kitten from a local shelter until I find my Nero a suitable companion. I wanted to see what people on this forum thought about it. I think i'd be helping out whatever shelter I fostered for, but I also read some things here that worried me about fostering. I don't want to put Nero at any health risk from any cats that might not have been properly screen for any health issues. I also don't want to bring a sick cat into my home for my own health concerns. What are your thoughts on fostering? Yay or nay?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I've been looking for a Savannah companion to my F4 male and I've been giving some thoughts to perhaps fostering a kitten from a local shelter until I find my Nero a suitable companion. I wanted to see what people on this forum thought about it. I think i'd be helping out whatever shelter I fostered for, but I also read some things here that worried me about fostering. I don't want to put Nero at any health risk from any cats that might not have been properly screen for any health issues. I also don't want to bring a sick cat into my home for my own health concerns. What are your thoughts on fostering? Yay or nay?
Daniel, why not foster a kitten from Cats Exclusive? They get babies in all the time as they work with FOCAS...this way you will know the kitten is healthy and you would be helping out.

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Daniel, why not foster a kitten from Cats Exclusive? They get babies in all the time as they work with FOCAS...this way you will know the kitten is healthy and you would be helping out.

I had no idea they could help me out with that. Thought about calling them for advice, but didn't know they could help me place a cat in my home. Thanks for the help, I'll call them up tomorrow :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
They have/had the most beautiful babies in there on Friday, that were rescued from a barn on Dr. Pla's wife's property...not sure if those two kittens are still there, but I held one of them ;)

D

Dantes

Another fabulous place to get a rescue kitty is St. Hubert's Giralda in Madison, NJ. That's where my baby boy Simba was from. He came perfectly healthy, all checked out, shots and all. Of course that was years ago, but apparently they're still there and doing well: http://www.sthuberts.org/

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
I called up Focus, the place Cat's exclusive told me to contact, but unfortunately they do not want their foster cats to have contact with any permanent pets. This kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm looking to do. Is this true with all places that allow fosters?

I can understand where they are coming from, and to be honest I didn't think of that aspect. Does this mean I should abandon trying to foster a kitten? :(

Sourek

Savannah Super Cat
Hahaha, that is quite a drive for a play date. I'm going to contact a shelter in Edgewater and one in Palisades Park as well. To be honest, I wouldn't be against adopting them completely but for now I'd like to get Nero some company.