Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Toilet training? litter? Quarantine?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Yes I know this covers a vast amount of material. But I think I'm in need of some conversation to get my mind off things. And knowing that shortly I may have my own little fur baby, I think learning and preparing are the best options to put myself in a good mood, and be productive. So I have a few questions. 1# litter, I currently use feline pine for my rabbits I am thinking about switching to equine pine as it is 1/4 the cost. is it the same? And since I would have a cat not just the rabbits are the litterbox needs a little different? Does anything work better to cover smell than feline pine? It seems to work great for the buns. But I will have to scoop now instead of changing the whole pan 2-3xs a week. 2# litterbox versus toilet training. I was debating getting a storage container and making my own enclosed litterbox. but if I plan to toilet train should I just jump right into it? Wouldn't that be too much at once? A new cat settling into a strange place and learning toilet use? Or would it be easier because they haven't learned any habits of the house yet? #3 quarantine, I think my bathroom is too small to keep the cat in there 24/7 for two weeks. I feel my bedroom would be perfect not too big but still plenty of room to play. would it be too stinky to keep the litter box in there if enclosed except for opening in side would that help with scent? if I choose to potty train should I cut hole in top and put a toilet seat on top for training purposes and start there then when cat is used to home introduce to bathroom litter? will the cat continue using the corner the old litterbox was? and is anyone familiar with using an aluminum roast pan as litter pan taped to toilet instead of litter kwitter? I had seen that when you put the hole in the corner instead of center cats adapt better. And flush able litter anyone? Sorry for the load of questions. and my apologies if any of these questions have been asked before.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Also if I do choose to quarantine in my bedroom should I worry about the cat using the restroom on my bed? How can I protect my bed from that?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I use horse stall bedding made out of wood litter and it works just fine. Just make sure it's not treated with anything (e.g., wood pellets for wood stoves are sometimes treated with a combustible material so that they will burn easier). I change the litter box once a week but scoop solids when necessary. Alicia here uses Poo Pourri and swears by it to cover up the stink: http://www.poopourri.com/

When you first get your kitty I would recommend using the same litter and litter system that your breeder has been using, then gradually switch over to whatever you want to use. I personally would not jump into toilet training as the kitten will be going through enough changes when it first arrives, but I think others have and have not had any issues.

If you don't have a bathroom attached to your bedroom then you will need to keep the litterbox in the bedroom. Only you will be able to to say whether it will be too stinky or not. Again, you can try a product like Poo Pourri to see if that helps. I would not put a toilet seat on top of a litter box, I imagine it would just get knocked out of place.

Ideally you should quarantine your kitten where you plan to permanently keep the litterbox (or have the toilet available) but most kittens adjust pretty easily to a new litterbox location if you keep the old box in the same place for a couple of weeks until you know they are using the one in the new location without issue. There should be no reason for the kitten to use your bed as a litterbox if they are already litterbox trained, but having said that many cats find down bedding irresistible to pee on, so if you have a down comforter or pillows you may want to consider an alternative.

I'm not sure I understand the advantage of using an aluminum roast pan instead of the equipment you get when you purchase the system. I have not used flushable litter, believe it or not, there are some places where it is illegal to flush litter down the toilet!

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I have that feeling that toilet training that soon would be too much plus going from litterbox to toilet is a gradual thing from floor on up. so I thing the litterbox may be required afterall plus I would like to have at least one other place in the house where the cat can go. I was keeping my rabbits in my room and the female likes to pee by the litterbox instead of in. if I don't notice for a day I can smell the ammonia but it isn't unbearable. and I had dealt with a hedgehog who had smelly stools so I think I should be able to handle it. ill just leave the litter box in my room and when I toilet train I may give back the litter box after trained as a second option. I sleep with my bedroom door closed usually so once the cat is used to the house ill just leave the door open to get to the bathroom which is only a couple of feet from my room. and I will definately look at the poopourri. Thank you for the referral I have never heard of it. I do plan on starting with the litter they previously used then slowly mix my litter with it. Same thing for food if I decide to change brands although I think I may just keep the same brand. I have had to do this before with dogs at my parents house and my prior hedgehog and bunnies. I think and sudden change in diet is a little risky. So slow is better I always assumed. If I would have used a "training toilet seat on the litter box I could screw it into the lid but I'm not sure if using it will even be necessary. I have heard about a method that was around before the litter kwitter. I had seen a few reviews saying that it didn't work at all or took a very long time between steps. I guess the issue that they kept referring to was that the hole being in the center of the pan was scarier to the cat than having a hole off center. And what they had used was recommended by two different books recommending using an aluminum roast pan. Then slowly making the home larger. sitting that inside the toilet as taping to edges so doesn't slip. to each their own though. every cat seems to be a little different as to quirks and preferences. I wasn't sure about the bed. My one bun went on my couch. After that they has seemed to think it was their own plush litterbox. I scrubbed with vinegar a few times. That bun seemed to think it was ok to go until I pretty much soaked the couch in vinegar. I didn't know if it worked the same way. and oh no I have a white down comforter in my room. Eek guess Ill just have to hide it unless company comes over. I roll it down each night because I don't want to ruin it. it seldom gets used for warmth. thanks for that tidbit I would have been so upset lol. is there perhaps a cover for your bed you could buy to protect the mattress just in case? I can change sheets if there was an issue but pillowtops look to be pretty absorbent. the cat I am thinking I may go with isn't neutered yet. He will be shortly after he gets used to my home. But is 4 months old and I don't know if there is a risk of spraying yet or not. Especially when two rabbits used to be in my room before moved to spare room

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
By the way I'm crying I laughed so hard at that commercial on the website thank you for that.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
LOL, yes the Poo Pourri has me in stitches every time I watch it. You can purchase waterproof mattress covers for your bed, just make sure it is actually water proof, not water resistant because that latter won't work. A four month old boy is not likely to spray (I never say never) but I would have him neutered fairly soon after he arrives, and definitely before he is six months old. I have had kittens - both male and female start to spray at that age.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I figure ill have my vet see him once I get him then let him make the decision on when to neuter. I think after the two weeks of quarantine he should be fine? How quickly do they heal? is it as risky as a bun neuter or spay would be? I would hate to see anything happen. also come to find out no shots have been given because apparently a lot of people in California oppose vaccine. This is what they had told me. Although they have given me copy of contract and there will be a health guarantee. the vet checkup will be the day before being shipped here.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I had been talking to the breeder for a while. he is working out a deal for me to do some design work for him on his website and for a new part of his company. and in turn made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I figure ill have my vet see him once I get him then let him make the decision on when to neuter. I think after the two weeks of quarantine he should be fine? How quickly do they heal? is it as risky as a bun neuter or spay would be? I would hate to see anything happen. also come to find out no shots have been given because apparently a lot of people in California oppose vaccine. This is what they had told me. Although they have given me copy of contract and there will be a health guarantee. the vet checkup will be the day before being shipped here.

It is NOT common for breeders in CA to not vaccinate! I've not heard anyone oppose vaccinating, oppose certain unnecessary vaccines like FeLV or the "FIP vaccine" possibly, and we aren't required in most parts of CA to vaccinate for Rabies....but FVRCP is standard practice here. The breeder you are dealing with may not vaccinate, I hope his kittens remain healthy as that would scare me silly to risk my babies' health by not vaccinating.

Neuters are generally minor surgeries... they heal fast. A spay is more invasive surgery but cats really seem to bounce back fast thankfully!