Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Toilet Training

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
Hello guys,

I just ordered the CittyKitty Toilet Training system, I was wondering if any of you have ever tried? This brand or another, successfully or not. (What a dream it would be!)

I don't foul myself, I don't really expect it to work but I figured it was worth a try.

What ya'll think about that?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
We have about 6 members here who have successfully toilet trained their cats. Some of them aren't frequent posters. I tried searching for the threads but couldn't find them. I think most of the discussions about the training process took place in other conversations about litter box issues. I hope the active posters respond with their experiences for you.

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
Hey! I am currently on the last step of the citikitti, and it has been AMAZINGLY easy (knock on wood) so far. I started with Vivi as soon as she arrived home, she was right at 16weeks. I am finally not having to add litter anymore since the ring is so small, and she hasn't missed one time. Next week will be the true test though, when I remove the citiktti completely.

Here's a few more details on how I got the process started:

http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/is-it-really-this-easy.3509/#post-53400

Best of luck!

D

Dantes

I think it works best when you have a single, only cat. I've never been able to train more than one cat, or keep a trained cat trained when there is another that is not trained.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I've always wondered what happens when a toilet trained cat ages and can't balance or jump well anymore. Do they pee at the base of the toilet? Do they start using a litter box? Anyone here have experience with an elderly toilet trained cat?

D

Dantes

Actually, my 14 year old DSH, after his sister passed away, reverted back to his toilet training (despite the availability of a litterbox). I still have no idea why. But when he got really sick, he stopped it and went back to the litterbox.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Thanks Dantes. It seems inevitable that an ill or elderly cat would revert back to the box. It's easier to access.

D

Dantes

This reminds me of what happened to his sister. She had been 100% healthy her whole life, unlike he who seemed to be constantly with problems. Both cats used the Litter Robot. Around age 14 she stopped using the litter robot, the vet told me it was her hips, that she was just getting old and probably had arthritis and couldn't step up into it. She started peeing all over the house. It turned out to be kidney failure (caused by bad kibble, as this was 2006-ish to 2007). By the time "we" figured it out, it was too late. It was a horrible lesson, but I will never ignore warning signs related to a litterbox ever again.

Now an ornery young cat that pees on you, and has had thousands of dollars of negative tests...that's a whole other subject, I think I've already done my due diligence on that one.

Xcellmusic

Savannah Super Cat
Hey guys today was Toilet training day 1, I must admit I was really anxious when I removed the litterbox (That was already in the bathroom next to the toilets phew straight to step1) and I was honestly anticipating an accident.

So I installed the CittyKitty system following the manual, and I was waiting to see what would happen.

Ayrad needed to pee few minutes after I installed it. He was meowing and looking for his litterbox for like 5 mn turning and sniffing around he was clearly no happy that the box wasn't there but then figured out where was his new spot by himself, this photo was taken at that exact moment!

Ayrad toilet.png

I was really happy, what a smart boy!!! Proud of him. I praised him a lot after.

And then I was wondering how it would go with the poo poo time. Well it just happened right now.

Same as peeing, he was looking for the litterbox except a lot longer, he went in and out the bathroom for about 15 minutes, meowing and looking at me. I didn't do anything I didn't want to confuse him so I was just observing and let him do what he wanted. After few hesitations he jumped on the toilet and pooped right in the center of the CittyKitty! I was very proud of him again, it got a little messy when he tried to cover it up, sending litter everywhere around the toilets but honestly I didn't mind, it took me less time to clean the few amount of litter on the floor then a regular scooping.

So far so good, everyday I'm surprise about how smart Savannah's are, he always impresses me.

I'll keep you posted about the rest of the training, probably posting a new photo at every new step. I'll take it slowly tho but this first day is full of promises!
Finger crossed.