Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Too thin?

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I know this breed is "thin", but what is too thin? Nyah is 8 and 1/2 months old (f2b, 28%) and though I don't see her ribs, I can feel her spine and hip bones when I pet her. She is not lethargic, her eyes are bright and clear, her coat shines. She is fed 4oz of primal raw daily (2 nuggets am and 2 nuggets pm). I mix up the formulas I feed her, I have the chicken and salmon, beef and salmon, quail and venison right now. She also has free choice grain free dry (natures variety instinct with raw boost chicken mixed with their rabbit formula).

She doesn't scarf down her raw, she eats about half, goes and does something else and comes back later to finish. I don't allow it to sit out more than an hour. Most of the time she finishes by then, but there have been times (once or twice a week) where she still had food left over, so she isn't acting starving! I know she is still growing so I want to be sure she is getting all the nutrients she needs.

Also, should I be worming her on a regular basis because she does eat raw? I noticed she was scooting her rear end across the carpet the other day, but haven't seen her do it since. If I should be worming her, I will call the vet Monday and get that set up ASAP.

Thanks!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Mostly, these are lean, tall, and long cats. You should feel some ribs and other bones. A shiny coat, energy, and the light of life in her eyes are all good signs.
But exceptions do occur. My son has an F3 that shows signs of being a middle linebacker for the NFL. Massively muscled miniature moose. Yet he is not fat, and has energy, great coat, and mischief to rival my cat Mayhem.
Check with a vet about deworming. I use commercial food and keep mine inside so it isn't an issue for me.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
. I use commercial food and keep mine inside so it isn't an issue for me.
I will call the vet Monday. She doesn't go outside, but I will check to be sure. Everything else hairy in my house is round, to include the horses. No one starves in this place, so I just want to make sure I am not missing something with her!

HIPS and SPINES worry me a bit. It will not hurt going into your vet and having him do a routine exam. It may just be that she is growing upwards versus outwards at the moment, though- particularly as an F2 kitten- that might be the case. I've noticed the F1s/F2s tend to grow UP and then FILL OUT and then GROW UP and then OUT until they are fully matured.

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks, Trish. I am calling the vet Monday. I hope I am just being overly cautious and there isn't anything wrong. She has been growing up, I have noticed. I want to be sure she is getting the right nutrients to support a growth spurt as well. I will report back as to what the vet says.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Trish, My F3's are following the same pattern. Up and long first, then at 2 years they started filling out. Rascal filled out nicely, Mayhem is just starting. He needs it, he is so skinny.
Becky, No one is starving around here. There is always kibble about, and yes, they all snack on it when the get the urge, but they don't over eat.

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Mostly, these are lean, tall, and long cats. You should feel some ribs and other bones. A shiny coat, energy, and the light of life in her eyes are all good signs.
But exceptions do occur. My son has an F3 that shows signs of being a middle linebacker for the NFL. Massively muscled miniature moose. Yet he is not fat, and has energy, great coat, and mischief to rival my cat Mayhem.
Check with a vet about deworming. I use commercial food and keep mine inside so it isn't an issue for me.
What do yours like to eat? Do you grind your own at all?

Sunny

Loyal Servant
I wanted to ask is that 4oz per meal or 4oz per day divided in half? That doesn't sound like a lot of food. That seems like adult portions and not growing kitten portions. If that's 8oz of food, that sounds fine and she will eventually start filling out.

Compared to Isis at 7 months, 1 week her appetite is endless the last 59 days. She literally gets 1lb of protein and moisture via 5 meals, 1 egg yolk, and meat scraps (chicken or steak) off my plate per day. She would likely eat more if I put a chair in the kitchen and just reached behind me to fling things out of the fridge every hour.

She too felt like a waif when I got her, with a not protruding but easily felt spine, rib definition, and uptake near the rear legs. She is starting to gain healthy definition where she has some heft to her, still has uptake, but her spine and rib definitions are there but surrounded by muscle and mass now.

She's still gaining 1lb a month and close to 8lb now, slightly ahead of the curve. The last weigh in at 7mo flat was 7lb 12oz. I weigh her in the morning before she eats because she's constantly eating. :) She has a total "reach" of 39 inches, nearly long enough to touch the edge of the counter standing up fully. She's only 3 inches short of my 14lb, 5yr old males paw-to-paw due to her length of leg.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree with Sunny...maybe she doesn't like the Primal much anymore either and that is why she is not eating enough...I know my cats get sick of rabbit and then they want chicken...or some days they want canned food - I give it to them...

Cinny is long and lean and could probably gain 1/2 pound, but she is ALWAYS on the go and stops long enough to eat - that's it, so I expect she will fill out when she is older...she is only 8 months old.