Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Took Louie For A Swim.................

L

Louie'sDad

...................yesterday in the ocean. He was skittish while on the beach, but as soon as he got in the water, he calmed right down. He then began swimming in deeper water and appeared to like it a lot.

In any event, I tried to rinse him off when we got home, but no dice. He absolutely won't let this happen. It's OK to leave the salt water on his coat and skin?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I don't know! I've never taken my cat for a swim in the ocean! LOL!. I'd probably prefer to rinse it off... it might be a lot of salt for him to be licking off his fur...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Are you able to use some wipes (e.g., Wet Ones) to wipe him down? Salt water can be pretty harsh on the skin. But glad to hear that he enjoyed the ocean!

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Can you wipe him down with wet towels?

I find the bath is something our boys can be talked into. They hate it, but as long as I go very slow, and i talk to him the whole time, even Jarvis (my jumpy boy) will let me bathe him these days.

Alternatively, kiddy pool with fresh water and robotic fish? Bubbles? Both of these will entice my boys to get into the bathtub without me having to talk them into it.

L

Louie'sDad

Can you wipe him down with wet towels?

I find the bath is something our boys can be talked into. They hate it, but as long as I go very slow, and i talk to him the whole time, even Jarvis (my jumpy boy) will let me bathe him these days.

Alternatively, kiddy pool with fresh water and robotic fish? Bubbles? Both of these will entice my boys to get into the bathtub without me having to talk them into it.

The afternoon we got home from the boat ride and ocean swim, I was dog tired and Louie appeared to be in his usual travel torpor, although he "forgave" me as soon as we got back into his domain......my house.:)

First thing I did after putting a few things away was put Louie into my shower, which has sliding glass doors, standard height maybe 6 feet high. I brought in a chair to stand on so that I could reach over the doors, turn on the shower with warm water and spray him off. He freaked, jumped and grabbed the top of the doors. I pushed him back in. He did this three times. I shut the water and let him out. He did not get ONE drop of fresh water on him, so that exercise was for nothing.

Ruminated my options for another time and decided to foll the sink with warm water and gently fill a small pot from it, and pour over him like I had done when he was 5-6 months old. He wanted no part of this, and although I was talking to him the whole time, I couldn't control him and he jumped out of the sink....................taking around ten gallons of water with him all over the kitchen floor, carpet IFO the sink, counters, and dinette table and chairs.

remember, I was dog tired, sticky and sweaty and had not yet bathed. To make matters worse, my chronic lower back has been acting up for the last week or so and I had been doubled over during this entire ordeal.

I somehow managed to get him about 3/4 dunked in fresh water for a millisecond before he flooded my kitchen.

He has not been locking at himself since the sink incident, so I assume that the case is closed.

Many of the statements of the past no longer apply, as to Louie's personality because as he continues to mature, he exhibits all of the classic F1 traits that I have read about on the web, as well as those described by the breeder before I bought him in 2012.

I have to liken him to a very loyal German Shepherd who loves his master, follows him everywhere he goes within his domain, is extremely cautious and skittish when OUT of his territory, and increasingly intolerant of humans other than his master.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
To: Louie
Subject: Torture, Physical and Psychological

Dear Louie,
It is sad news we have received that your captivity has progressed from minor degradation to outright acts of torture. Rest assured as your personal envoys, we remain your steadfast allies in the fight to end these horrific mistreatments of a noble and kind member of our species.

Among the list of grievances conveyed to us from reliable sources, the following acts are all considered crimes by the Geneva Catventions.

Psychological manipulation resulting in fear of imminent death:
- Forcing one to swim in waters believed or known to be home and hunting territory to predatory sharks.
- Being confined to 'the shower' and pursued with a liquid spray of unconfirmed type.
- Varied forms of water torture including dunking, pouring or streaming water on the head, etc.

Additional degradation and defamation of character:
- Likening the victim to a 'very loyal german'

Please remain steadfast and know that your captor has received a letter of protest concerning these actions.

Yours in solidarity,

Yuki and Yeti

PS - We also heard, from a very good source, that your escape attempt resulted in flooding of a portion of the facility in which you are held, and inflicting of pain upon your tormentor. Stay strong and know we always think about you.