Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tower of Power question

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
OK. We are searching for our new kitten and it's inevitable one will be here in the near future. Here's my question… Servo had a large cat tower which I called his "tower of power." LOL He was always safe if he made it back to the tower before I could catch him. This was during play when we would chase each other around or even when he was in trouble for doing something bad. Although he would still get a little scold and a talking to if he was bad… but I digress… Anywho… I have his old tower in my garage.

QUESTION:

Should I re-carpet the tower or can I get away with thoroughly vacuuming it and 'cleaning it up.' Have any of you re-carpeted a tower? Is it difficult?

Also, should I throw away all of Servo's toys and get new ones or can I keep them.

I don't want to freak out a new kitty with foreign kitty 'odors'

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You don't have to recarpet unless it is frayed with little strings that a kitten could swallow. It's perfectly fine to use the same toys. The odor of Servo won't have any affect on the new cat.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks! I'll clean it up real good and 'refurbish' it best I can. Re-carpeting seemed daunting.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I tried to remove all the foreign kitty smells before our new cats came but there was one area under the bed that my previous cats could get to that was beyond reach of cleaning without dismantling the entire bed. Guess where Jammu went whenever he was alone - that spot! And when Rafiki arrived - the same thing happened. They seemed to think that previous kitties had been safe there and they would be too.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
When my Kilifi came to me I had given her many new toys, but she found an OLD white stuffed heart that belonged to one of our cats YEARS ago. Where she found it, only God knows, but it is her favorite above all. She HAS to have that one to play fetch. When she carries it, it looks like she has a Santa beard.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
I tried to remove all the foreign kitty smells before our new cats came but there was one area under the bed that my previous cats could get to that was beyond reach of cleaning without dismantling the entire bed. Guess where Jammu went whenever he was alone - that spot! And when Rafiki arrived - the same thing happened. They seemed to think that previous kitties had been safe there and they would be too.

Kitties could possibly release 'safe' pheromones on their spots. Then other cats know by the smell it's safe.

morbius

Savannah Super Cat
When my Kilifi came to me I had given her many new toys, but she found an OLD white stuffed heart that belonged to one of our cats YEARS ago. Where she found it, only God knows, but it is her favorite above all. She HAS to have that one to play fetch. When she carries it, it looks like she has a Santa beard.

Ha! That's cool. We'll keep the old toys and get a couple new ones. Servo used to play fetch with bottle caps. There were bottle caps all over the house!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Your tower of power should be fine with a bit of sprucing up. Bottle caps I would be wary of though, would not want to see a kitten swallow one of those!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that unless a cat has died of something terribly contagious, just vacuuming the cat tree is fine... the kitten will smell your Servo but it will be more of a curiosity thing than anything...