Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Townhouse foyer

Akila

Site Supporter
Good Morning all,
I am wondering if any one has an suggestions on how to Savannah proof my townhouse.
There is a railing with spindles and on the other side of the spindles is about a 10 foot drop. I have plastic wrap around the spindles for now, but I don’t think that is going to hold for long.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
There was a thread about this, if I remember correctly, the folks wound up putting plexi-glass (or whatever that's called these days) along the railing to stop the cats from going through. I also remember reading about a cat that would routinely jump down from a similar height with no issues. I've seen both my boys come down from high places by sliding part of the way, then jumping down, it's pretty remarkable!

Akila

Site Supporter
I’ve thought of plexiglass, but thought then they would probably just jump over it. I scares me to death to think of them jumping from that height. There is a plant ledge on two sides about 8 feet high. Maybe a very tall cat tree would help.

I’m not so worried about my 4 year old cat, because I don’t think she would jump, it’s the kitten I worry about, because, well she’s a kitten!!!

Ninja-n-Bear

Site Supporter
A tall cat tree is not a bad idea, I'd worry that it would tip if fallen on from above, but I'm a worrier lol. Cat shelves might work, as well. Then she'd have a whole wall of vertical space, and something to jump to from the top.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
These cats are heart attacks waiting to happen. Rafiki jumps onto a railing that is less than 2" wide and it has at least a 15' drop on the other side. The only thing you can do is give them something else more attractive!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
A tall cat tree (you can get some that run from ceiling to floor so perhaps steadier than a free standing one) and cat shelves are both great suggestions. The bottom line though, if that kitty gets it into her head that she wants to jump then eventually one of these days she's going to jump. Ten feet is not so bad though, what kind of flooring is at the end of the jump? If carpet, even better...

Akila

Site Supporter
OMG you aren’t kidding about the heart attack waiting to happen...LOL. unfortunately the foyer floor is tile :( ! I told my husband I am going to get blow up mattress and put them down there ;)