Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Training to pee outside?

iironicF1

Savannah Kitten
Hello all :big grin:

My name is Renae and I'm new to this forum. I have a male F1 savannah on the way soon.

I was wondering, would it be a little too ambitious to train him to potty outside instead of using the litter box? I know it can be done after reading some of the posts on here. I'm just wondering how to go about doing this. Should I start the training early on when he first arrives? Or, let him continue using the litter box until he can hold it long enough, then slowly start teaching him to use the bathroom outside? Also, how should I go about training him to do this? Am I in over my head o_O ?

Your input would help a lot! Thanks :]

M

MK Anderson

Welcome and congrats on your new kitty! Is that one of Kim Hoffman's kittens? I personal would not do it. I think it would create more problems when you start messing with litter boxes. He might start using other places to go, like your bed, couch, ect, just my opinion!

M

MK Anderson

This litter of kittens she had was so cute! lucky you! cant wait to see picture of him growing :)

iironicF1

Savannah Kitten
Yes I'm sooooo anxious. Can't wait to see how he grows each week and how his features turn out. And I'm anxious for when he comes home. I just keep staring at his pics lol

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not sure what you mean by 'outside'? If you mean, let him out the front door and expect him to relieve himself then come back inside I don't think that will happen. If you are building a large outdoor enclosure that is attached to the house so that he can go in and out freely then there is a very good chance that he will choose to go outside to do his business, especially if you provide him with a large litterbox (aka sand box) out there. However, I would not eliminate the indoor litter boxes until he proves himself 100% reliable in using the outdoor facilities.

iironicF1

Savannah Kitten
I'm not sure what you mean by 'outside'? If you mean, let him out the front door and expect him to relieve himself then come back inside I don't think that will happen. If you are building a large outdoor enclosure that is attached to the house so that he can go in and out freely then there is a very good chance that he will choose to go outside to do his business, especially if you provide him with a large litterbox (aka sand box) out there. However, I would not eliminate the indoor litter boxes until he proves himself 100% reliable in using the outdoor facilities.

Ooops maybe I did't clarify. I meant use the bathroom outside without a litter box, like every time I take him on a walk. Not an outdoor enclosure or anything.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, Renae! I have not trained my cats to do this and I am not sure this would work long term...you should be sure to keep your kitten's routine as much as possible at first...the only way I see it working is Patti's ideas...

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome Renae and congratulations on your new baby coming...he's gorgeous!

I think Patti was spot on with her advice. Keep everything the same (food, litter, etc) when your new baby arrives. Plenty of time later on to try new things :)