Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transition to alternative foods

We almost lost Chui a couple of weeks ago, and the Vet is still uncertain as to what caused his extremely
high fever and lethargic attitude. The tests proved inconclusive because on vet had started hi on antibiotics
and we feel that was enough for test results to be bad. The question is that the Vet said he didn't want Chui eating raw chicken anymore ( we think it was Salmonella ) so he suggested Aunt Jeni's, the problem is that he or his sister neither one will eat it. I have tried mixing with boiled added treats mixed with fish, they don't want it. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a new diet. Or has anyone else run into this problem.
Thanks
Gordon and Debbie

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If your cats won't eat cooked chicken, how about raw turkey, rabbit, bison? Hare-today has a variety of meats and organs to choose from. Or you could try Feline's Pride but it isn't in chunks, it's ground and kind of soupy, so if your cats enjoy chunks, they might not like this particular food. Nature's Variety is another and comes in patties.

I feed mainly a whole prey diet (mostly from rodentpro.com) with various chunky meats (from hare-today) to keep things varied. Have never had a problem, knock wood, with food contamination.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Deborah, I think the vet's point was that he wanted the cat off raw completely, which I don't agree is necessary, and will also comment that it is unlikely that a cat will get salmonella from chicken unless the chicken has already gone bad, in which case it is an issue with that particular supplier, or perhaps with the handling technique if the raw was being prepared from scratch at home.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Deborah, I think the vet's point was that he wanted the cat off raw completely, which I don't agree is necessary

I got the point, I was just ignoring it, LOL, for the reasons you stated. My recommendation to try other meats is to introduce a better nutritional mix into the diet.

So, Gordon & Debbie…if you want to continue to feed a raw diet, be sure that you purchase fresh meat, freeze it in individual serving quantities, thaw in the fridge what will be eaten within 1-3 days, and throw out thawed meat that is older than 3 days.

We almost lost Chui a couple of weeks ago, and the Vet is still uncertain as to what caused his extremely
high fever and lethargic attitude. The tests proved inconclusive because on vet had started hi on antibiotics
and we feel that was enough for test results to be bad. The question is that the Vet said he didn't want Chui eating raw chicken anymore ( we think it was Salmonella ) so he suggested Aunt Jeni's, the problem is that he or his sister neither one will eat it. I have tried mixing with boiled added treats mixed with fish, they don't want it. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a new diet. Or has anyone else run into this problem.
Thanks
Gordon and Debbie
Deborah, I think the vet's point was that he wanted the cat off raw completely, which I don't agree is necessary, and will also comment that it is unlikely that a cat will get salmonella from chicken unless the chicken has already gone bad, in which case it is an issue with that particular supplier, or perhaps with the handling technique if the raw was being prepared from scratch at home.
We were so careful with the chicken never gave them chicken that even smelled the least,threw away a lot that had just been thawed out came from the store like that but the boy has not had any problems since off the raw but they are so hungery

Thank you for your suggestions if any one knows a good chicken recipe we have a grinder but where do u buy the chicken that u know is good? That is what scares me maybe I should buy some live chicks and let them go after them lol

frances

Savannah Super Cat
Please don't do that!
Any cat food is good, Royal Canin is ok ,but a bit dear.
A piece of good fresh chicken, cooked would be fine.
How F stb is your savannah?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Thank you for your suggestions if any one knows a good chicken recipe we have a grinder but where do u buy the chicken that u know is good? That is what scares me maybe I should buy some live chicks and let them go after them lol
There's a recipe on p. 1 of this http://www.savannahcatchat.com/threads/request-for-exact-recipe.2415/ and also one here http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood#The_Recipe; various recipes here http://holisticat.com/en/well-fed-cats.html

Frances we give them boiled with vitamins they eat it a little we even tried grilled chick with nothing on it they did not like it either