Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

treats?

rickbmore

Savannah Super Cat
Has anyone had cats that just won't eat treats? I've been trying to give them little rewards here and there. My f6 female walks away from everything, even canned food. She will only eat purina dry.
My f2 male is the same but will occasionally lick at some canned if I put it on a plate and chop it up. My f3 girl (ripley) will eat anything she can get at including my dinner if I walk away, She will also try to drink a beer if I leave it out. haha. Any suggestions or should I just not worry about giving them treats.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Freeze dried chicken treats...either halo or whole life...i guarantee she won't walk away ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

John Popp

Site Supporter
I can try putting any treat on their plates or feeding them by hand and they won't eat them. Now put them in a puzzle feeder and I think they would eat anything they got out.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I can try putting any treat on their plates or feeding them by hand and they won't eat them. Now put them in a puzzle feeder and I think they would eat anything they got out.

I use the treats to train them - works like a charm...I then switch to clicker training, once they have the concept...working with clicker training, puzzle feeders, etc., is a great way to keep highly energetic, inquisitive, highly intelligent cats occupied and satisfied ;) - in addition to play, of course ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
I definitely need to study up on the clicker training. Our problem child, not Chongo, really had some behavioral issues addressed with the use of puzzle feeders. He was destined to be daily medicated as a result of inappropriate urination that we just couldn't get resolved. He's definitely much more confident, active and no longer shows any signs of depression. The spraying stuff is all gone and while I'm sure the puzzle feeder isn't the only part of the solution, it was the one thing that really changed his persona.

admin

Paige
Staff member
That is wonderful, John - glad to hear it!

I really see a difference in Zuri, my high strung girl as a result of clicker training, puzzle feeders and play...she brings me her toys and that lets me know she is bored and needs some stimulation (mind)...I have to say that the cat wheel, for me, has been the best investment I have made and I am excited to get the new one from the UK in about 3 months, so the kittens can run side by side ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Ooh! Let me know what cat wheel you have as I certainly would like to get one. I keep waflling on it though as I see a lot of shortcomings in some designs or otherwise they just aren't very aesthetically appealing. The one I really like I have not been able to find a source for, and despite all my capabilities to actually construct my own with a similar design, I'm wise enough to know that it's a route that will never lead to completion.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I really like that wheel, John! I have to laugh as it looks like my house on a daily basis, with Zuri running, then Cinny jumps in and then Ixas jumps in, just like the cats are doing here...only thing is Zuri is not a happy camper, since she considers the wheel hers...

I liked the plastic wheel for about a year because I had not seen anything else, but once the year was up and it started falling apart, I saw the pitfalls...now I hate it...it is made in China and really does NOT stand up to daily, running hard use...I have a new one and it is already wobbly, so I need to figure out what the heck is wrong with it...I can't complain, since I didn't pay for it, but still...it should hold better.

I designed my own graphics (pretty much) for the new cat wheel from the UK...I love the way it is constructed and the care they take with each wheel...I also love the fact that it is handmade out of wood, with a springboard type effect on the running surface...

it is called the Maclaw cat wheel...shipping is VERY expensive on this wheel though...