Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Ugh Tapeworm

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Bizley's tape worm is back again! He's had it since we got him. I'm very frustrated. Any ideas why it's. to going away? It's so disgusting. He's been on profender topical, metrominizodal and panacur plus frontline flea treatment. I'm so frustrated! I'm taking him to the animal hospital today. I'm getting very frustrated, just when I think he's better it pops back up.

Any help?

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
So they have him drontal and combed him for flease and saw nothing.

He's been on:
Profender
Metronidazole
Panacur
Drontal today

Any idea why this is either not clearing up or how he's getting reinfected? Is he leaving larva on the bed or something? Thus far Jengo is clean. We clean all the boxes is it possible it's in the bed?

Do you have carpeting? If you do-- fleas can easily infest your carpet. Maybe they are getting on him, biting him, and then dying from the flea meds, but leaving him infected with tapeworm? I'm just tossing ideas out though-- I could be way off the mark.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I have some flea spray from the vet I'm going to bomb his room and the upstairs. We have hard wood and tile through out. It's so frustrating and disgusting.

I'm now worried about getting it since he's slept in our bed a few times and I had a guest over who slept in his bed...ugh

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Is it possible the previous meds weren't strong enough? They combed him and no sign of fleas. He had no sign of fleas when we got him either. I had my breeder walk him one or twice to get feedback on well he did on the leash. That's it! They combed him and threw a solution on it and said if he had fleas it would turn red. Nothing turned red.

Sorry to vent I've just neverh dealt with this before and am so upset for him. In questioning everything and all of the vets.

From
Everything I've read it doesn't get into bedding or anything. So I'm confused and sad :(

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I've never had to deal with fleas or tapeworm so I have no practical advice for you, but it sounds like he was on a boatload of medications before so hard to believe he was undertreated - I guess you just need to retreat however your vet recommends and keep your fingers crossed it works this time. I do know that for many worms the medicines don't get the eggs, so it is usually recommended to treat, then repeat the treatment in two weeks to make sure we get everything.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Easy. I know it's frustrating. I do not know about treating a tapeworm, but I know that getting uptight only makes it harder on Biz. Logic would tell me that if he has nothing to reinfect him, then the meds did not kill it completly. If you are convinced there are no fleas or other sources of reinfection (if any) then just be sure the meds kill what he has now. Charley, you just need to exude confidence around Biz. He must have faith in you to make him better. (and yes, darlin' , cats DO have faith in things.) I am NOT scolding you. Just want you to relax. Better for him...Better for you...Better for all. :)

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I've never had to deal with fleas or tapeworm so I have no practical advice for you, but it sounds like he was on a boatload of medications before so hard to believe he was undertreated - I guess you just need to retreat however your vet recommends and keep your fingers crossed it works this time. I do know that for many worms the medicines don't get the eggs, so it is usually recommended to treat, then repeat the treatment in two weeks to make sure we get everything.
I'm thinking perhaps the other meds didn't treat the eggs. Fingers crossed and praying. He came from a very good breeder and I am certain he picked it up from grooming their outdoor kitty - he grooms everything and everyone. We did not buy a cat with fleas and Jengo is indoors only. Timing is everything for this parasite they don't come out with every stool and may not display symptoms. I know the breeder is as upset as I am. The new animal hospital had been very "judgy" of us. We are cleaning and scrubbing everything. We do all that we can - cats are royalty around here. We're really doing all we can.