Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Unbelievably sweet

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Today is mani-pedi day. I trim their claws every other Sunday. I was trimming Rafiki's claws by myself (Jammu requires 2 people) and while doing her 2nd foot, she squirmed a bit and I cut the quick for the first time ever with her. I could not believe what happened next - nothing. She didn't yelp or squirm or try to get away. We had a cuddle session and then she allowed me to finish the rest of the claws, including the remaining 2 on the abused little paw. I am so very amazed. She seemed to understand that I didn't mean to hurt her. I so love this little cat.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What a sweet little princess you have there! I think it's time you posted new pics of Rafiki!!

mandyloo

Savannah Super Cat
Mango does the same. One time I didn't even know I got her quick until I saw dried blood on my pant leg. She purred through it all.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Today's mani-pedi did not go so well. She hissed 2 times (and not the friendly conversational hiss!) and actually bit my cheek. Fortunately she did not bite hard and did not draw blood but it certainly put me on notice. Normally she goes limp or places a paw on my mouth to let me know that she needs a cuddle break. Not sure what got into her today.

3iKT

Savannah Teenager
Today is mani-pedi day. I trim their claws every other Sunday. I was trimming Rafiki's claws by myself (Jammu requires 2 people) and while doing her 2nd foot, she squirmed a bit and I cut the quick for the first time ever with her. I could not believe what happened next - nothing. She didn't yelp or squirm or try to get away. We had a cuddle session and then she allowed me to finish the rest of the claws, including the remaining 2 on the abused little paw. I am so very amazed. She seemed to understand that I didn't mean to hurt her. I so love this little cat.

Hi Rafiki:
My first time trimming Monkey I cut at least 2 quicks -- I never knew until I saw blood spots through the house - he didn't let me know at the time (or I didn't see); no change in behavior afterwards. Needless to say I felt like quite the crappy mother, and was nervous about subsequent episodes. Since the first experience, whenever presented the trusting manner by which Monkey lets me handle his paws, I'm humbled by his trust, and I've been flawless in my clippings since I've been obsessive on building skills. From this experience, I've extrapolated forgiveness into my human life too. Happy New Year!
-KT

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I trim her nails every other week and the only time that I cut her was back in May. I did not hurt her this time. That was what was so odd about the bite, she normally puts up with it and tends to go limp rather than aggressive. Aggression is only displayed when she has a particularly fun toy like a lizard or bug. Thankfully she only nipped - not even a tooth mark much less broken skin. In all fairness, we did leave them for 8 nights over the holidays so she has been quite clingy and not quite herself since we got back.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
My sitter kept me well updated with both text and photos. About half way thru, they went on a play-strike. They still came out when she arrived and ate all the food but just watched her act like an idiot and refused to play regardless of what toy was pulled out. When we came back, I was amazed that they did not snub us at all....they just wanted to play for HOURS. They have been snuggling in bed with us every night every since so I assume that all is forgiven.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
Linda, our boys will do that from time to time.

They will ignore he sitter (but not the Frenchie who comes with him!)

They don't hold a grudge at all for us going away, which is really nice, but they all have their issues when we come back. D sleeps on me, holding my hands, for several days. Mickey all but stalks Mike for snuggles, and throws himself at Mike. Jarvis literally will not let us out of his sight, and has some transferred anxiety. It sounds like your baby is behaving similarly.

D and Mickey never fight the mani pedi, but Jarvis will at times. If I try to do a mani pedi after bring away, Jarvis growls. His manners also slip when we are away (re: stealing food and destroying shoes). The rest of the time, he is fine, will lay in my lap and snuggle while I do his nails, but not if I've been away. Looks like your baby may feel the same way. Hang in there, I bet it will sort itself out.