Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Understanding pedigree certificates.

Bristol Lad

Savannah Super Cat
I was just looking at Sahara's pedigree certificate and was finding it hard to understand.

Why has she got so many great great grandparents and great grandparents?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

SV Dad

Site Supporter
Well, that's not a TICA pedigree form. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, you have at least a fifth generation SV. About 75% of the backgroud is SE cats and 25% A1SV's.
Your avatar has a very nice looking cat.
I will let the breeders chime in with their analysis.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Looks like Fusion double-dipped into the lineage as a great grandparent and grandparent. Actually tripple-dipped. Twice as a great grandparent. And the subsequent half siblings were bred to each other. There is quite a bit of Fusion in your kitten.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I was just looking at Sahara's pedigree certificate and was finding it hard to understand.

Thank you.
Because every cat has two parents, those two parents each have two parents making four grandparents, who each have two parents making eight great grandparents, who each have two parents making 16 great great grandparents...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member

Thank you.
She looks to have the correct number of grandparents, great grandparents etc...not sure why the number is odd to you.

As others have noted, there is some inbreeding, without seeing further back, with all those Select Exotics cats in the pedigree there might be even more if you could see one or two generations back.

In any case, I think the reason that certain SE cats appear more than once probably has to do with location. I think Tylands is a UK cattery, and possibly imported a group of cats from SE at once and used them repeatedly. A few years back, there weren't too many Savannah breeders and hence their options may have been limited... at least that's the nicest reason I can think of. Or that Fuzion is so darn typey they deliberately linebred to strengthen that influence? I know that is more common in dog breeders... most of us in the cat fancy see the value in genetic diversity for breed health...that's why TICA allows any breed to outcross and register the offspring (you just need to breed three generations down to be able to show them as the breed in most cases).

Bristol Lad

Savannah Super Cat
Cool, thanks I understand now.

I didn't even notice that Sahara has Fusion in her pedigree three times, thank you for pointing that out.

Brigitte - what does it mean when you say " line bred to strengthen that influence?"

Rascaldad - What does a TICA pedigree look like please? I should get my TICA papers once I have my kitten nurtured.

SV Dad

Site Supporter
TICA. The International Cat Association. This is the international genealogy registration for recognized breeds, of which it is the only organization which currently recognizes savannahs (SV code). You can purchase a three or five generation pedigree. Much more information is provided such as the birth date, the breed of the parent, generation outcross code (A, B, C, or SBT), the registration number, and the cattery.
In the US, due to some areas having restrictive laws concerning ownership / possession of SV's, this is the owners proof of generation for ownership. This is also proof of SBT (stud book tradition) which is the definition of a pure breed cat (five generations of SV to SV), which is required for showing cats for awards at TICA cat shows. Your name, address, and registration number will be on the papers once you receive the registration
I always recommend getting the TICA papers. It is proof of product. Your breeder will give you the blue slip litter registration of birth for obtaining the the TICA registration. (Breeders register the litters as they occur.)
As that is an SE cat, all of my cats are distant cousins to yours. Nice to meet family.
And I believe you meant "neutered." We all nurture our cats!
(Breeders, did I get this right?)

Last edited:

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Cool, thanks I understand now.

I didn't even notice that Sahara has Fusion in her pedigree three times, thank you for pointing that out.

what does it mean when you say " line bred to strengthen that influence?"
I used to breed fish of various sorts. In order to increase the chance that particular desired features such as shape, size, and color were going to be present in the blood line, I would sometimes reintroduce a fish that had those characteristics to the breeding pool even though it meant he or she was breeding with a sibling, offspring, or grand offspring. It is not typically done if it can be avoided because it also increases risk of genetic diseases and flaws carrying down the generations.