Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Update on Stark!

K

KIM

So another day of trying to get my little boy acclimated. It will be two weeks tomorrow. I went and sat in his "Safe" room and just closed my eyes, and ignored him. Ive been given advice not to always engage but just sit and relax too. He came and sat about 6 inches from me. I let him be. I just spoke to him sweetly and then let him smell my hand. I try and move slow around him as he startles easily but is definitely doing better. For being such a good boy, I offered him a treat which he ate out of my hand. So trivial for most of you but huge accomplishment. I wanted him to know I was so proud of him. He started playing with some toys after and left the room for a few, I came back in and he was in his bed relaxing so I petted him, and he looks sleepy so I left. I cannot wait till he runs to me and sleeps close! We still have a ways to go, and Im hoping another week will do this!

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
YOU ARE DOING FINE!!! Stop beating yourself up. I so agree with Brigitte. Pretty big steps FOR HIM.
:) :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
You think so, even though its almost two weeks. I feel like a bit of a failure. I thought I could do this sooner lol. guess not!
It's not about you and whether or not he lives up to your expectations. It's about what he needs to become a confident cat. One oft repeated piece of advice we hear here is that once you get a savannah, you live your life according to their terms not yours. When I think about all the stories here about how people, including me, have changed their lifestyles and attitudes about so much to accommodate these crazy fur balls, it proves that advice true.

It took me 3 yrs to get one of my SVs to accept me. He's 5 yrs old now and while things are better, I'm still on probation. Our relationship didn't improve until I relaxed and stopped trying so hard to be a good mom. The situation is a bit different from yours. Maliik wasn't the best socialized cat but he isn't unconfident and afraid. He's just ornery. LOL. So the only other thing I can add is to just relax, go about normal activities as you usually do, expose him to those activities a bit at a time -- laundry, vacuuming, etc., and he'll adapt on his terms. If he senses that you are anxious or tense, it will start a cycle where he resists because he picks up on your anxiety and doesn't understand what to do with it.

K

KIM

Im not anxious, Im fine. Of course they own us, my bengal owned me all the way. I will do what needs to be done for him. This is not my first baby, so its all good!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You think so, even though its almost two weeks. I feel like a bit of a failure. I thought I could do this sooner lol. guess not!
For some kittens it would be sooner, but they are not all the same and you got a more sensitive less confident individual. Not your fault, and nothing you have done!

In fact, he is very lucky to be homed with you who has done everything you can to help him adjust...some would have forced this and the situation would be more dire at this stage!

K

KIM

Well he is so loved and as long as it takes it takes. I ask questions as ive never experienced this type of situation before so nothing wrong with sone advice and help. I want to do whatever needs to be done. Love and kindness to a gorgeous boy like mine is soooo worth it!