Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update

Joey Jordan

Savannah Super Cat
So, I posted a week ago about Zuri's problem with diarrhea. I took him to the vet and they put him on a sensitive stomach food and medication to firm his stool. (Starts with a Z but I don't remember the name of it) It's better but still not the way it should be. The vet said it could take a couple weeks. I'm into my 2nd week now. Should it be back to normal in 2 weeks? Also, I don't know what food to put him back on at the end of the 2nd week. Currently I have him on Life's Abundance. Should I switch to raw only? Could that clear up the problem? There is just too much out there to choose from.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
So, I posted a week ago about Zuri's problem with diarrhea. I took him to the vet and they put him on a sensitive stomach food and medication to firm his stool. (Starts with a Z but I don't remember the name of it) It's better but still not the way it should be. The vet said it could take a couple weeks. I'm into my 2nd week now. Should it be back to normal in 2 weeks? Also, I don't know what food to put him back on at the end of the 2nd week. Currently I have him on Life's Abundance. Should I switch to raw only? Could that clear up the problem? There is just too much out there to choose from.

Try to make any shift of food gradual. Include things like cooked chicken (no bones) and steamed rice because those are tasty and easy on the stomach. You can use lamb instead of chicken if you wish. You can even begin to include raw, increasing it as you go.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I cannot remember if you had also had them run a fecal PCR test on Zuri? I would be reluctant to expect the stools to continue to firm if the underlying cause is not treated. The medication that comes to mind would be Zithromax (azithromycin) but that is unlikely for diarrhea, maybe Zeniquin?

Your vet is correct that it can take 2 weeks for the digestive system to calm down. My vet tends to recommend boiled chicken and rice not a prescription diet at that time as it is the blandest choice.

It depends on what is causing the diarrhea. If the Z-medication treated what was causing the diarrhea, then yes, you will be able to transition him slowly back onto the Life's Abundance. If the diarrhea reoccurs, it could mean that he has food allergies, and you might need to work on that. But make sure that the diet transition and the end of the Z-meds don't happen at the same time, so that you know better what might be triggering the diarrhea.

I'd also suggest a probiotic to restore a good balance of bacteria in his gastrointestinal system... something like Probios or Proviable...