Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Urinating issues

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
Hello All

I have been MIA for a while due to work and Layla keeping us busy. We finaly opened up the entire home to her (basement) and moved her litter box to the basement utility room. She was using it ok for a while without any issues. We switched her open container (clear box) and feline pine to litter robot and tidey cat clay litter. For about a month now she will not urinate in her box unless I put her next to it, she does deficate in it but will not urinate much in it and has been urinating in our living room and bedroom (carpets, pillows, couch etc.. and once she tried to pee on my jacket on the kitchen counter). I brought back the open conatiner with feline pine and put it in the basement next to her robot and that worked for a while but she then stoped using the clear container as well. I moved it to the bathroom at the bar in the baserment and she would only use it if I put her in it. The house is 3 stories, she was first introduced to the master bedroom on the 3rd floor (single family home 5000 square feet and she is 11 months old) and her litter box was in our master bath and gradualy we moved it to the halway and then middle room and then basement utility room. She did have some urinating issues back in the day when her litter box was upstairs and she would urinate on the office chair or dining room lounge chair/living room rug. Layla has been to the vet for UTI and it was negative. We really dont have any space for a litter box in the middle room but I am about to add one upstairs again but this time in the Laundry room.... I am open to any suggestions at this point, I think I will urinate on her next time she pees on the couch just to prove its my terriroty lol (she is the only pet).

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Sam...welcome back! I'm sorry you are having peeing issues with Layla. I think it almost sounds like Layla has had a lot of change in house locations and different litters and boxes moved around here and there in the time you have had her. Cats are not fond of change. All is not lost, however. Have you tried adding Cat Attract to her litter? It really seems to help "attract" cats to use the litter box. You can use it as a litter itself...(it is a fine clay), or sprinkled liberally or mixed in with whichever litter you are using that she seems to prefer. I wonder if the litter robot frightened her, and now she associates the noise those boxes make with being afraid to use the box at all. Did you do the switch gradually....offering her old box with the pine pellets next to the one with the clay litter? Some cats don't appreciate changing the litter box :) For some reason, she is associating urinating with avoiding using the litter box. I also think she is seeking your attention somehow by only peeing in the box if you put her in it, and now it is habit. Also...plastic boxes after a time do wear out and retain a not so pleasing odor to us and cats. It may be time to replace it, in the same style, color and size that she seems to prefer. Try washing it out with bleach diluted in water, as the smell of bleach tends to attract cats.

Could there also be a stray cat or other animal outside that she can see sometimes or hear and smell? That will make many cats pee wherever to alert the stray animal that the house is her territory and to stay away.

I am assuming she is spayed? Intact cats can and will pee in the wrong spots and spray. What about any major or minor changes in your home...new pet coming or going, change (good or bad) in a human relationship, new furniture, new working hours, a remodel job or repair, even moving the furniture around...you get my drift. Those can cause a cat to pee inappropriately. You did say she has a new location in the basement area, so that is one change that may have affected her. Is she getting less attention than before? I think if she has access to most of the house, there should be a litter box in every room....5000 sq. feet is huge...lucky you!

I think I would stick to the one litter she is using most, along with Cat Attract, and the style of box she prefers. You might also try confining her to a smaller area, such as a room that gets a lot of use by you, and try to retrain her to use the box and not your clothing and furniture. Cats, for some reason, do seem to like to pee on soft articles, especially down items. Was she de-clawed by any chance? Some cats will have sore paws after the procedure, and will seek out something softer than say, pine pellets to do their business, as they associate digging the somewhat hard litter with irritating their paws.

You will also need to clean everything with a good enzyme cleaner, like Anti-Icky Poo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator to remove any cat urine smell. These can be ordered, and work better than anything else available.

I feel your frustration. I think we have all been there with one cat or another in our lifetimes, but I think you can turn this around as she is still quite young :)

http://www.antiickypoo.com/

http://uniquedistributors.com/petodel.html

http://www.petco.com/product/107498/Precious-Cat-Dr-Elseys-Cat-Attract-Scoopable-Cat-Litter.aspx

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Paige....I think you are right that Layla needs a four legged friend with the same energy level...introduced gradually of course, and when her litter box issue is a thing of the past :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Wow, Pam said absolutely everything I would have said, nothing to add except to stress confining her in a small area and retraining her using Cat Attract, then reintroducing her to the house a little bit at a time should work, along with cleaning everything thoroughly with one of the enzyme cleaners she mentioned.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
Is the litter box covered? Some cats do not like covered litter boxes because it contains the odor and/or they feel confined with no escape route. Sue

Sam

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you for the feed backs, yes one of the litter boxes is covered (litter robot). I do believe she needs more litter boxes which we are adding today and I have purchased littler attrack (or something like that on Amazon with icky poo poo be gone lol). She gets all the attention in our home, she is the center of attention. I think the fact the litter robot is hooded, it has moving parts and I think she is too big for it is the culprit and its being sent back.

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
I have a Littermaid and Smart Scoop litter boxes and do not use a cover on either box although they both have an optional cover. Both will automatically scoop about 10 minutes after the cat leaves the box. The Smart Scoop tends to fling clumps out of the box so that box is on the patio. Also the Smart Scoop can not be forced to cycle. The Littermaid can be cycled by turning the unit off and back on. Both would jam when we used Arm and Hammer litter. We now use Tidy Cats and I don't think the Littermaid has jammed since changing over to Tidy Cats. The Smart Scoop still jams occasionally. Sue