Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Urinating on the Duvet

Gryphoak

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on here and we are the proud owners of a 17wk old neutered F1 boy who is a joy to have. We have had him for a month now and he has been using both his litters regularly. On three separate instances though, he has peed on our duvet, twice while we were sleeping under it. We used the enzyme spray and washed thoroughly each time. This has happened on 2 separate duvets, one silk and other other down. There is no obvious detectable urine by any of our cats when we test them by putting them on the duvet. He does not have accidents anywhere else except once in our recycle bin with newspapers and an empty grocery bin we left next to his litter. His appetite, energy and demeanor are great so we are not suspecting illness. We have two other cats who have had UTIs and FLUTD so we know the signs of those and this seems purely behavioral. I read somewhere about some cats peeing on duvets but our other cats have never urinated in our bed. We have had to keep him out of our bedroom at night and when we are not there to supervise. But I want him to sleep with us and we miss him at night. Any thoughts or suggestions?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Welcome! Yes...you will have to get rid of anything down or silk, most likely, if you want him to sleep with you...some cats just seem to like to pee on down or other soft material...mine have never done this, but if you check the forum, you will see it is not unusual...

And some photos would be welcome as well ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have to agree with Paige - down seems to be irresistible for cats to pee on. I've not heard of silk being an attractor before but then, I've never known anyone with a silk duvet before. I think it has to do with the animal content so silk would fall into that category. I'm afraid you might have to put away these items and switch to man made products. BTW, what enzyme cleaner did you use? Not all enzyme cleaners are equal...

Gryphoak

Savannah Super Cat
We mostly use Nature's Miracle and we soak it very well, then let it dry and wash it. We even test it to make sure the cats cannot detect the urine anymore after we treat it. All 3 of our cats will scratch at urine and make the "square mouth" look when they sense it. None of them do that after the treatment. But once it goes back on the bed, it gets peed on. We bought our 3rd bed covering now, which is a comforter with no natural fibers. I still have not let Calyx in the bedroom unsupervised though.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Patti and Paige says, Nature's Miracle (and most of the enzyme cleaners commonly found in stores) is not too effective so you might need to repeatedly treat a spot to be sure. There can be a trace of it and your other cats may not be as sensitive to smell possibly too (we all have individual levels of abilities at things). Generally, AntiIckyPoo or Unique Distributors Odor Eliminator (both sourced online) are much better products for this purpose.

But for some cats (and just because one cat doesn't do it, doesn't mean another may not) down is irresistable to pee on. This is not a Savannah trait but a cat trait. Not all cats have that trait. It is possible that your kitten is just attracted to that. I haven't known anything about silk for this purpose... I had seen them in stores and wondered about it.

There's some things I might suggest, getting a standard type of down alternative duvet and seeing if that fixes the problem. Or, sometimes it is the crumpled texture that attracts them too, so smoothing a sheet OVER the duvet and tucking it in can help too. I know that doesn't help for when he pees on you while IN the bed, in which case I have heard people utilizing either a tarpaulin or plastic-backed sheet for some time... it's not great to have to do that, but it should be a temporary thing... use it for a few months then see how it goes. Best to just find a way to stop the behavior now, as you don't want your kitten to develop a habit of doing this!

Gryphoak

Savannah Super Cat
Unfortunately being in Canada, online products are not as easily available to me as in the US. I will look up the products you recommended and maybe there is a Canadian distributor. We have had cats over the last 9 years with urinary health problems and until now, Nature's Miracle worked for us. Maybe Calyx is more sensitive or maybe it has nothing to do with him detecting any residual urine and just the fact he is the first cat we've had that peed on bedding. I don't even think he urinates in the same place on the duvets each time. Once it landed on our feather pillow too.

Gryphoak

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks, I found it on 3 Canadian websites including Amazon. With shipping at over $30 to Toronto, it makes the starter kits cost $100. Is it really worth the price?

admin

Paige
Staff member
Thanks, I found it on 3 Canadian websites including Amazon. With shipping at $20-$30 to Toronto, it makes the starter kits cost $100. Is it really worth the price?

IDK - might be easier to just get rid of the down and silk and see what happens.