Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

USDA/APHIS Rules

Sonnenblume

Site Supporter
Which 325 cat breeders will be targeted? Will it be breed specific?

Those people who do things correctly will buy the licence and continue to do things correctly. Those who don't, will go further under ground and continue to breed.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Which 325 cat breeders will be targeted? Will it be breed specific?

Those people who do things correctly will buy the licence and continue to do things correctly. Those who don't, will go further under ground and continue to breed.

Jo, it is impossible to know which breeders they are targeting...it will be breeders who have more than 4 breeding females initially.

It is absolutely ridiculous...target the puppy mills and stop including the small hobby breeders

Trish Allearz

Um, that number was pulled out of their asses. Anyone involved in the breeding community should easily be able to do the math and realize a lot more then 325 breeders throughout the COUNTRY have over 4 female queens. And what exactly does that mean anyways? For example- if I'm growing up a kitten, but not using her as a breeder as of yet- does that count? Or does she count as a breeder as soon as she's 4 months old? If I have a queen who doesn't produce every year- does she count?

It's asinine and I'm beyond pissed, but too tired to properly show my rage. Yet.

Trish Allearz

MIND YOU- maybe I'm not so tired- if the breeders wit 4+ queens sold STRICTLY to petstores, guess what? They don't need licensing!!!

Crazy.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm curious to learn more about the fallout from this decision.

Part of the fallout will be breeders who have more than 4 female breeding cats - there are many! Some breeders will go out of business...hobby breeders (less than four breeding cats) will only be allowed to sell kittens as pets...so not as breeders...

I have no idea how they intend to enforce this, but should be interesting and will force many breeders to stop breeding :(

Trish Allearz

Correct...or justs ell kittens as pets...
If the good breeders only sell pets- then we might as well ALL alter our cats and walk away.

There is no breed without the blood, sweat and tears of the catteries that CANNOT operate as businesses and will not operate as businesses. If you are running a BUSINESS and must be there whenever USDA knocks on your door- how are you going to be tromping across the country showing? Nope- you'll need to be home scrubbing your cages out- which is where your cats will be living. I have words for this, Paige, and you damn well know it's all in the four letter category.

Preaching to the choir? For the most part, yes, but not completely.