Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Use of gas vs injectable anesthesia

Tau'sDad

Savannah Kitten
Hello everybody,

I'm new here, but I'm really glad that I found this forum and happy that I got approved to come on here and ask questions and share advice and stories with fellow Savannah owners.

I'm the human guardian (didn't feel it was right to say owner since they own me lol) of two great 9 month old F5 Savannah kittens that are pictured in my avatar. I'm past due to get them neutered, but the reason for this, is because I seem to get conflicting opinions on what is the right anesthesia for the vet to use when doing this procedure.

My breeder is really strongly suggesting that the vet use only gas to put them under and not any type of injectable method to put them under for the procedure because of possible problems it could cause, including death of one of them. The vet that I took them to, for their booster shots says gas is actually more harmful and only uses injectable methods. I contacted another vet and they said they only use injectable as well, and good luck finding one that will only use gas. I figured I'd contact another breeder to ask their opinion and she said her vet uses injectable and she's never had any problems and to just make sure the vet doesn't use ketamine.

Please help!

I want to make sure they get neutered because I know it's the best thing for them, but I also don't want to harm them by doing the wrong thing either.

Tort518

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of information about your question here. As I understand it, the prevailing sentiment seems to be to avoid ketamine when possible, and to trust the vet to use what they have the most knowledge and experience with. Others can chime in that have had Savannahs far longer than I have and have dealt with your issue. My kitten Yeti will be getting snipped sometime soon and my vet assured me they prefer other things than ketamine.

Per Lausund

Staff member
I would strongly advise you to let the vet do things in his/her own way. There is a lot of worry among breeders about the harmful effects of injectables while gas is seen as beneficial. This is not a sentiment shared by experienced vets, who will use what is most relevant to the procedure.
And ketamine is excellent so long as it is covered on both ends by an efficient sedative! (I use it on my own cats when needed). And there are good alternatives, one of the reasons vets donĀ“t like ketamine is because it has become extremely popular among the kind of people who break into your car or office to steal drugs for recreational (!!!) use.
Cheers
Per

Tau'sDad

Savannah Kitten
Thank you both for the welcome and replies.

Per...you're correct I've heard so many different opinions on this subject, but the majority of the ones I've heard have come from owners that have used injectable's and haven't had any adverse effects from it. I looked through a couple of other threads and saw that the majority of users in those posts think injectables are just fine.

I'm going to check with another owner of a F1 that has already had his neutered and see what they used for his SV.

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
I just went through this two weeks ago with getting Vivi spayed. I called around town to 4 different vets before I finally found one who did not use Ketamine, and also used gas. ;)

VioletFae

Savannah Super Cat
I should also mention that I've heard a lot of bad things about Metcam injections, and my breeder did lose a kitten on the operating table from too much Metacam- it made the kitten's heart rate through the roof until it finally exploded. I can't even imagine! That was all I needed to hear to look for alternatives.

That being said, I'm sure there are many folks who have had no trouble with the injection. I was just not willing to take the risk...

Per Lausund

Staff member
I should also mention that I've heard a lot of bad things about Metcam injections, and my breeder did lose a kitten on the operating table from too much Metacam- it made the kitten's heart rate through the roof until it finally exploded. I can't even imagine! That was all I needed to hear to look for alternatives.

That being said, I'm sure there are many folks who have had no trouble with the injection. I was just not willing to take the risk...
Metacam is a painkiller, and should only be used AFTER any surgery and associated anaethesia is finished and out of the system. It is not something you use during surgery. Dosing a cat is finnicky, and needs to be quite precise.
P

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Neutering is a very quick procedure so there should be no problem with just using injectable. I would avoid ketamine if possible, it can have adverse effects on cats (not just Savannahs) although it still seems to be very popular amongst vets.

Per Lausund

Staff member
Neutering is a very quick procedure so there should be no problem with just using injectable. I would avoid ketamine if possible, it can have adverse effects on cats (not just Savannahs) although it still seems to be very popular amongst vets.
Strangely enough, yes, it is popular, and as I have mentioned several times, there is a reason for that. And you might consider why! :)
Per