Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vaccination recovery problems.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Morning folks. Just wondering if anyone has seen longer recovery times from your kitties first round of vaccinations? Our breeder contacted us this morning to say Leto is still not feeling well, not playing and such after 5 days. She's taking him to the vet this morning and we are just worried sick. Wondering if anyone else has run into this. I have read that the chlamydia may not be necessary and he did have that included in this first round.

Thanks in advance!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have not had a reaction last that long.bringing to the very is the best thing to do. I hope he is ok. Please let us know.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

feedtheflame

Savannah Super Cat
never even knew it was normal for a cat to have reactions to vaccinations. When i took my kitty in for his second round at 3 months, i asked them afterwards if there were any normal side effects like if a child were to be vaccinated (soreness, crankyness, fever, sickly for a day etc) and they said no. I never noticed him act different either.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Yea, that's what had the breeder worried, his siblings are all fine and where bouncing around that day. He was the active one of the bunch. I'm hoping for good news from the Vet and will update this when we here. It's had us both worried sick today... :oops:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
One of my F2s had a horrible reaction to the 1yr booster. The vet's face turned stark white when she saw him. He was on pain meds for 3 days before he started looking normal. Very scary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've not seen more than kittens sleeping a bit more than usual the afternoon after a vaccination. But then I don't give the Chlamydia vaccine as my vet says it is not necessary in our area, and I've not had a cat test positive here.

It is worrying, so I am glad that they are taking him to the vet. Is he eating but just a bit lethargic or not eating and drinking? Also has the breeder checked his hydration levels? Kittens can get dehydrated very fast, and that will kill their appetite and energy, and it can be miraculous the effect of just giving sub-q fluids to them in that case...I could see that a little fever post-vaccination could lead to that. Additionally, if the kittens were given a modified live vaccine (rather than killed) then it is possible he's having a mild version of one of the diseases...

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
She said he is eating and drinking, she has been spoiling by heating his food a little to encourage him just after the shots. Today she said he's just not being as active as he has been, just wants to lie on her lap. I'll check about the live vs. modified, I had read the same thing and was concerned. She did say the chlamydia can be a bit more to get over. Just sad to think of anything make him feel miserable.

Pam and Will

Savannah Super Cat
Well the vet says he looks OK and they gave him a dose of antibiotics. The breeder says he was playing a little this afternoon/evening so maybe just down and out from the shots. Other than that he appears to be OK, updates tomorrow! Hopefully a good night sleep, if SV's ever do that... LOL will help out!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
The longest I've had a kitten react badly to a vaccine is three days, but that third day had me really worried to. Then the kitten bounced back to his normal active self the next day as though nothing had ever happened. Hopefully the same will happen with your little guy and you will get great news tomorrow.

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
It may be totally unrelated to the vaccine. Did they check for an elevated temp etc? Sometimes it can be an abscess or something viral brought on by a vaccine. I always get sick after a flu shot. I don't get the flu but usually get something else that I happen to be fighting off unknowingly at the time. Better to wait a bit until he gets a clean bill of health until you bring him home!