Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Vaccines

Napoleon

Savannah Super Cat
Hello everyone,
My breeder was adamant about live vaccines. Visited 2 vets and both are skeptical but I told them both that without insult to their profession I think it wiser to listen to breeder with 10 years' experience than vet with 5 minutes' experience with Savannahs. Found a vet who won't do anything that I am not comfortable with, but was firm about rabies vaccine. So I am going ahead with that one. Can you please share some of your vaccination non/vaccination stories and advice? Thanks!

Hello everyone,
My breeder was adamant about live vaccines. Visited 2 vets and both are skeptical but I told them both that without insult to their profession I think it wiser to listen to breeder with 10 years' experience than vet with 5 minutes' experience with Savannahs. Found a vet who won't do anything that I am not comfortable with, but was firm about rabies vaccine. So I am going ahead with that one. Can you please share some of your vaccination non/vaccination stories and advice? Thanks!
I use modified live. I have never had an issue with using them. I did have a cat develop a vaccine related sarcoma years ago when I still used killed vaccines. That is why a switched. BUT, you will find varying opinions on modified lives vs. killed. I do not think it is bad to use killed. I just do not prefer it. Rabies is really a vaccine that is not necessary for indoor cats. The only benefit I can see to giving it is you can say your cat has been vaccinated in the off chance you ever get nipped or someone else does. I only vaccinate for rabies now when I have to (to satisfy travel requirements within the US or export requirements).

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
My vet keeps telling me that there is no proof that rabies vaccine works in hybrids so there is no pressure to vaccinate SVs for rabies in Oregon. I haven't done any research to either affirm or dispute her statement. Luckily we have a low incidence of rabies here.

A

americansafaricattery

Our Vet's use modified live. We have 2 different vets. One for major and one for routine. The routine vet does as we ask and orders different vaccines, medications and sedatives for our SV's. she does this because she has not dealt with SV' before and our years of loyalty to her. Major things, the SV's go to a larger clinic that has a vet tech that is in vet school and has 2 or 3 SV's herself. Our SV's have the required vaccines. We are lucky but it took months to figure all this out and a lot of hard work to find the vets. Keep trying and they are YOUR babies. Stand your ground and remember that the Vet works for you.. Good Luck.