Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vets and Vaccinations

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
I have two vets I see. One I found when we got Jengo and they are a nice facility, the other only sees cats.

Vet 1 is an animal hospital, they do a good job with difficult animals, they scruff and get the job done.

Vet 2 does not scruff, they offer a lot of non-invasive treatments and vaccinations and have rooms designed for kitties, I love them. They go on an on about how amazing your cat is too - doesn't hurt. There are no dogs to deal with which is ideal for Jengo. I really like the cat only place because I am not looked as so crazy either when I'm praising them for being good when they are quiet.

Anyway vet 2 has been out of rabies shots for awhile now and Biz sent me to the ER with a swollen hand after an accidental play bite. I was very nervous because the Dr was asking a lot of questions. Both kitties are utd on shots except that one so I decided I would take Biz to get it from Vet 1 so we have record of it in case he gets playing with a client and something similar happens. He's not a biter by nature but my experience with the Dr kind of sacred me. I felt it necessary to do this in order to protect my babies.

Anyway today vet #1 suggested FIV vaccination since Biz is leash training outside and could get in contact with other cats. My kitty vet 2 never mentioned this or suggested it. I've read about this and know that a cat with the vaccination can test positive for FIV which means if he ran off and was found in a shelter that could be bad news for Biz. I'd love experienced input on this. The vet says the strain they use doesn't test the positive but I'm a little worried. Both animals are microchipped but still...

The problem I have with vet 2 is that inspite of all the transdermal meds they give, those are far less effective. We had a parasite issue when we got Biz that was unknown by the breeder, it was not a big deal the vet explained that it takes a month for them to appear so there is no way she could've known. He got prompt treatment - everybody did. But that treatment wasn't effective because it was transdermal so it came back and we are doing two rounds of panacur, round 2 coming this weekend. He's doing much better now and stool is becoming normal. We also had him treated for diarrhea - metrnitizol transdermal for 10 days which seemed ineffective. So I love vet 2 but I do not like having to put the cat on this much medication. Now that we are finally getting there, Biz developed an eye infection likely from the parasite and he's on eye drops for that prescribed by vet 1. Vet 2 also did a fecal test on both cats that came back clean when clearly it shouldn't have because just days after getting good news we found mor parasite. It's been frustrating. So I'm lacking trust in both places right now. I like that they give up the nose vaccinations at vet 2 but also read that could be harfmful because they are live vaccinations.

So any thoughts? Who's right? Who's wrong? Which place seems best? Is it normally this difficult to get rid of a parasite? Vet 2 even insinuated we have fleas in the house which we don't. Neither cat has had fleas and are treated monthly. Should we do FIV vaccination?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Charley, it's hard to address your questions about the parasite when you don't mention what the parasite is or what the transdermal medication was that was initially used to treat it. A fecal exam at the vet's office can miss many different infectious agents so while it may be a good place to start, it certainly isn't the most comprehensive screening tool available.

Regarding the FIV, if you're walking the cats on a regular basis and there are other outdoor cats in your neighborhood it would not be a bad idea to get the vaccines for FIV and FeLV.

BTW, I can't think of any parasite off the top of my head that can cause both a GI infection and an upper respiratory infection, so again wondering what it is you are dealing with.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you! We were dealing with tape worm, the med they gave was pro fender. There are a lot of cats in this neighborhood so I guess I had better get those vaccinations too. Should Jengo get them as well even if he doesn't walk outside?

I think I got upset with the false negative because I had them do a complete panel not just a float. The good news is it's clearing up and his stool is looking very good now. The vet said it's very possible the eye issue is related to the tape worm.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Vet 2 has been very, very helpful in regards to handling these situations especially with having two cats and we've managed to keep Jengo very healthy through it all. I'm just hoping I'm getting all the right information from them. They keep saying these are very common things. My research seems to indicate that and further research on profender shows many others felt it was ineffective as well and had similar experiences. So I'm a little curious why an ineffective medicine was prescribed? The panacur is working though. It's just upsetting to feel like your kitties aren't getting the best care. I also wonder if ineffective treatment led to this eye issue? Perhaps if they had prescribed panacur in the beginning he could have avoided this little issue. Luckily, the vet doesn't think it's anything that can effect Jengo so they can maintain their usual running around with each other.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You will have to ask your vet why he prescribed the profender, he is the only one who can answer that question. As for it effecting Jengo - if the cats have shared litter boxes at all I would treat both for the tapeworm.

Even if only one cat is outdoors I would probably give both the vaccines, just to be safe. I would be more worried about FeLV than FIV as the latter is usually spread only through bites whereas the former can be spread by casual contact, including grooming and even shared food dishes.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Profender should be fine for worms, but it wouldn't treat diarrhea caused by giardia for example. The panacur would so maybe that is why his stools are better. I've not heard of tapeworm causing eye problems...

I don't so much agree that one cat with diarrhea will not pass this on to the other cat if running around together... they likely are sharing litterboxes which is how most of these things can be spread.

Was the fecal panel a float or PCR panel?

I think the only way your leash-walked cat could be at any risk of FIV from another outdoor cat is if one raced up to him leaped on him and bit him. It requires contact and is spread by saliva to blood... or blood to blood. I tend to think if another cat in the neighborhood came up looking threatening you could easily yank your cat out of harm's way... or just not allow him close enough to another cat to find out. Even if vaccinated you wouldn't want him fighting with neighborhood cats! If both your cats are indoors only and the only outdoors they see is on a leash, I think vaccination for FIV and FeLV unnecessary.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Ok, I was wondering why Profender was ineffective. The worms did come back :-( they seem better now. Both cats got profender and both cats got panacur. Both cats are now getting monthly flea and worm prevention treatments too.

Biz had giardia back a few months before I got him, this was disclosed from the breeder to me and he was treated as all the kitties were. She said it was awful and said they all came in contact with it when someone returned a kitten. I was aware of this. Now, the animal hospital said that giardia can come back so the panacur treatments are for that. Their panels came back clean for both kitties. Biz's stool is still a little soft but he does another round of panacur this weekend. We did 5 days then 10 days off then another 5 days to start this weekend.

I'm just feeling upset and questioning whether the vets are giving the best treatments. Since my other friends who've had issues with worms and the like have all either gotten a shot or a pill.

My concern for the vaccinations is them testing a false positive. Is that possible?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm not terribly familiar with these vaccines but as best I understand it, the FIV vaccine has yet to be proven effective, and once vaccinated with it the cat will continue to test positive. The FeLV vaccines are known to be effective and I believe all are killed viruses, which may initially give a false positive (the first few weeks after receiving it) but after that should not influence the testing process.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Hmmm, see, I'm really not really sure if I want to pursue these vaccinations until I know more. I'm concerned about the FIV vaccination as we are not sure if we will need to board the cats the next time we both go out of town. I would hate to board Jengo because it would be so stressful for him but I've yet to see if his separation anxiety will kick in again. He's a chewer when he's upset so I'm concerned about blankets, sheets or whatever he decides to chew through. I'm savannah proofing the house this weekend and my bf will be here so we will see if that's better. Hopefully having Biz to play with distracts him but it's hard to tell.

Anyway if they are ever boarded that's the only time I can conceivably see them coming in contact with other cats. Otherwise on the leash I can yank him away from any other cats. We do have quite a few cats in the neighborhood, none seem feral. They all seem to have a home. We only let Biz walk the back yard so that he won't get used to going out the front. I've never seen a cat in the back yard - we've got a privacy fence. Just bunnies and squirrels.

Charley

Savannah Super Cat
Thinking back now, I suspect Jengo had a bit of an upper respiratory infection after he went to the vet in April - he was down for a few days but the vet recommended watching him to see if he fought it off, if it was allergies or what not. Within 48 hours he was fine again. In fact I cancelled my initial appointment to get Bizley because Jengo wasn't feeling well. Is it possible the worm compromised his immune system and he picked it up from Jengo?

The vet said spring is cold/flu season for kitties and allergies can be a problem. Like I said Jengo bounced back very quickly but Biz could've gotten it from him since I never got a confirmed diagnosis on Jengo since he got better very quickly. The eye drops seem to be working though. Whatever Jengo had I'm certain came from the vet since it was within 4-5 days later he wasn't feeling good. Stool is looking much better too.

I feel like once a year or so in the spring Jengo seems to a little off, sneezes some and then gets better the next day.